Hawkeye women’s golf prepares for Dick McGuire Invite

After finishing fifth out of 13 teams at the Chip-N-Club Invitational this past week, the Iowa women’s golf team will take aim at the Dick McGuire Invitational title starting today.

The tournament will take place in Albuquerque, N.M. The Championship Golf Course at the University of Mexico will host the 54-hole event.

In total, 17 teams will compete, including Iowa’s Big Ten counterparts Indiana, Northwestern, and Ohio State. Iowa State and the host New Mexico Lobos are among the other squads in the event.

The Hawkeyes will stick with the same lineup that competed in Lincoln. It includes seniors Kristi Cardwell and Gigi DiGrazia, who will look to improve upon their shaky performances at the Chip-N-Club. Lauren English, a sophomore from Bloomington, Ill., posted the lowest total , 13 over (229), for the Hawkeyes in the team’s first tournament. English will round out the lineup along with freshman Briana Midkiff and sophomore Shelby Phillips.

Second-year head coach Megan Menzel will return to her alma mater Monday; she was a two-time captain of the golf team during her time at the University of New Mexico from 1993-97. She was also the 1996-97 Bank of America Academic Athlete of the Year.

Golfers will play 36 holes today and finish the tournament with a round of 18 on Tuesday. A shotgun start is scheduled for 8 a.m each day. Those who would like to follow the tournament as it happens can do so at Golfstat.com.