Birds of Chicago will perform at The Mill Friday

The Birds of Chicago will perform at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., at 6:30 p.m. Friday.

The group features J.T. Nero and Allison Russell and their respective bands. According to the band’s official website, Nero and Russell are known as "two of the most compelling new voices in North American roots music."

Larry Meyer, the band’s publicist, said the sound Birds of Chicago provides is one that can be difficult to label.

"One of the things that [the band] takes pride in is that it does blur the lines, and it is difficult to put in one specific category," he said. "It certainly is acoustic music that seems to identify with the indie-folk movement. It’s something that owes a debt to gospel and soul music."

Meyer said Nero and Russell’s sound can also be surprising.

"We see two people stand up there with acoustic guitars that may not be the type of thing you expect to hear," he said.

Birds of Chicago regularly performs at the Mill. Meyer said a part of the duo’s frequent presence at the Mill is due to their fan base in Iowa City.

"[The Mill is] one of their favorite spots," he said. "They now have performed several times in Iowa City and are developing a nice little following. They have personal friends who live in Iowa City. Iowa City seems to get this kind of music."

Admission for the performance is $10; doors will open at 5:30 p.m.

— by Anna Theodosis