Women’s swimmers head into winter on a high note with win over Cyclones

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team posted three pool records on Dec. 9 on the way to a 176-124 road victory over in-state rival Iowa State.

Captains Daniela Cubelic and Danielle Carty had said the team needed to bring the same energy to Ames that it brought to the Hawkeye Invitational on Dec. 2-4, and head coach Marc Long said he felt his team accomplished that goal.

"I’m proud of how well the Hawkeye swimmers and divers performed tonight," he said in a release. "It was an exciting win in a very tough environment."

Sophomore Abbey Tuchscherer, freshman Becky Stoughton, and senior Veronica Rydze led the charge for the Hawkeyes.

Tuchscherer broke pool records in the 100 and 200 butterflies with respective times of 54.77 and 2:01.17, both of which rank second in Iowa history.

Stoughton broke the Beyer Hall Pool record in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:03.70 and also claimed victories in the 1,000 and 500 freestyles.

Rydze took first place in both the 1- and 3-meter diving events; her score of 312.30 in the 3-meter event was a pool record and a personal best for the senior All-American.

The Hawkeyes will next compete on Jan. 6, when they travel to Tucson, Ariz., for a winter training meet.

— by Tork Mason