Psychedelic rock band performs at the Mill tonight

Nick Ley’s band Colourmusic likes to play loud.

"Our ears hurt just as much as everyone else in the crowd," Ley said. "I guess it depends on how high the Mill’s air conditioning is, but the place is usually just as sweaty as we are."

Colourmusic will perform 9 p.m. today at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St. Admission is $10 at the door.

Drummer Ley categorizes the group as a high-energy rock band— noting the band delivers a morph of beats into a monster live sound.

The psychedelic band originated while the three members were students at Oklahoma State University, and they said they enjoy crowds at college campuses and in small towns similar to where they grew up.

And Ley said performing live heightens the intensity of the music and allows them to share a raw experience with audiences.

"The most important thing about being on stage is there are no boundaries — we like to play close together, and it becomes an experience between us and the audience," Ley said. "We approach a hard-core aspect on stage; we like getting people involved."

Josh Onstott, a friend who has worked with the band for six years, said Colourmusic’s loud sound is incredible to witness because of the musicians’ originality.

"They are really skilled players and are a lot of fun to watch — you’re in for a treat when you watch them," Onstott said. "You can’t help but appreciate their sound, because it’s raw and loud."

The band members’ ability to continually reinvent themselves shows how talented they are, he said.

"What they have done with this record is completely different from their last one — it has sort of a pink vibe that is translated as sexual and really raw," Onstott said. "These guys are here to make real records."

Colin Fleishacker, Colourmusic’s bass player, said the group generates musical interpretation from colors. The band morphs into a different feel based on the feelings of a color, he said.

Fleishacker said the band’s last album, F, Monday, Orange, February, Venus, Lunatic, 1 or 13, revolved around the color orange, which featured smooth and pop sounds. The new album’s songs are interpreted from the color pink — on the aptly titled My ____ Is Pink — where the musicians found their inspiration.

"The feeling we’re going for on this album makes the music very raw and dirty." Fleishacker said. "The drummer kicks really hard, and we’re amped to where we’re on the same level of him — we just feel the music. It’s cliché to say, but it’s the truth of it. The music speaks for itself."