Tour named Big Ten Swimmer of the Week

Iowa senior captain Katarina Tour was named the Big Ten women’s Swimmer of the Week after an impressive performance in the team’s dual meet against Iowa State in the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center on Dec. 10. The native of Stockholm, Sweden, led the Hawkeyes to a 173-108 victory over the Cyclones.

Tour and company kicked off the competition with a first-place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:42.74. She then won the 100 breaststroke and the 100 butterfly, posting times of 1:03.00 and 55.56, respectively. Winning every event that she swam in, Tour contributed to a first-place time of 3:38.61 in the 400 freestyle relay for the competition’s last event.

As one of Iowa’s top swimmers, Tour holds four places in the school’s top-10 best times in four individual events. Three of those — the 100 breaststroke, the 100 butterfly, and the 200 individual medley — are school records. She has also contributed to nine relay times that fall in the top-five best times in school history, two of which are school records.

"[Being recognized] means a lot," Tour said. "This is the first time in my college career. I had one of my best dual meets of my life last weekend, and I am so happy for the appreciation."

— by Maggie Cunningham