UI frat house turns into a hip-hop venue for a night

Many people might scratch their heads when they hear that a fraternity will host a semi-big-name musical act at its house. The thought usually elicits images similar to those in Asher Roth’s music video for “I Love College” — lots of red cups and unrealistically synchronized nodding of heads.

Hip-hop artist Shwayze, along with producer Cisco Adler and opening act Tomorrow’s Storm, will take the stage outside the Sigma Nu fraternity house, 630 N. Dubuque St., at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $15; all proceeds will go to charity.

Shwayze is perhaps best known for his hit songs “Corona and Lime” and “Buzzed” in addition to his short-lived MTV reality show, also called “Buzzed.” The performer is making a comeback in the college community with his music video for the film Sorority Row, drawing the comparisons with fellow collegiate rapper Asher Roth. Shwazye’s recent campus success makes him the ideal subject for the SCOPE and Sigma Nu event.

“We picked Shwayze [for the concert] because he’s an up-and-coming artist, and a lot of people in the fraternity and people around campus seem to like him,” said Greg Mittleman, the eminent commander of Sigma Nu.

A few things will make Saturday’s concert far from stereotypical Animal House parties. First, it will take place in a parking lot, rather than inside a frat mansion, and second, the event will be held for charity.

The concert will also be different for SCOPE, which is usually associated with IMU and concerts held on university property — past shows include Lupe Fiasco, Girl Talk, and the Cool Kids. T.C. Lockhart, SCOPE’s general manager, said this is the first time the organization has been involved with a fraternity-hosted event.

“It’s completely different when a show is not set in a university park or building,” he said. “When it’s at a fraternity house, it can be cool, because it’s a totally different atmosphere. It’s a venue we haven’t had yet, but we will still provide the same security and everything.”

Lockhart also thinks that Shwayze will draw in a large student crowd.

“Sigma Nu picked Shwayze, because [the members] saw it as a good act to bring to the big greek community and the greater university community as well,” he said.

Although the concert will take place in the parking lot outside of the fraternity house, Mittleman says it is by no means an exclusive event.

“We’re hoping that all types of people — not just from the greek community — will come and have a good time on Saturday,” he said.