Klinefelter sisters fighting tonight at fairgrounds

Iowa City has seen its share of nasty fights in recent years. This weekend, residents can be guaranteed at least two more.

Emily and Katy Klinefelter, sisters and Iowa City natives, will headline a nine-fight card at the Johnson County Fairgrounds this tonight. Both sisters are veteran professional boxers who have fought all around the country.

But for them, there’s nothing like coming back home.

“When you fight in other places, you aren’t going to draw a huge crowd,” said Katy Klinefelter, a 22-year-old Iowa senior pursuing a pre-pharmacy degree. “Fighting in our hometown is a huge deal.”

A large crowd is expected in what could be an electric environment. The sisters headline a draw that features many local amateur boxers, and even two men scheduled to do a Muy Thai exhibition bout.

“This year, I’m hoping for the show to be a lot more successful than last year. I think we’re going to have a better card,” said Emily Klinefelter, a 26-year-old UI graduate. “It’s going to be a really good show.”

The women themselves are heavy favorites in their respective fights.

Katy boasts a 3-0 record, which includes one knockout at the professional level. As an amateur, she won four national championships. Her opponent in the four-round lightweight fight will be Lacy Terrell, a mixed-martial arts fighter.

Emily Klinefelter, also known as “the Enforcer,” has recently been competing in mixed-martial arts events, compiling a 5-0 record. In one of her latest fights, she won a match by submission at the Midwest Fighting Championship.

“Right now, mixed-martial arts is giving me more of a thrill because it’s just really like the fear of the unknown,” she said.

Emily Klinefelter should have no trouble switching back in to boxing mode for her fight tonight, though. In the ring, she is a natural.

She has a budding professional career and a 5-0 record with two knockouts. She was also a highly decorated amateur fighter, with 15 national and international gold medals.

Yet she faces a new challenge facing a virtually unknown opponent.

Emily Klinefelter is slated to fight Ashleigh Curry, who is 0-1 professionally, in a super featherweight bout (130 pounds or less).

The older sister says it’s tough fighting someone on whom there isn’t much information or film. But she said she’ll “just have to go in there and do my best and try to make adjustments as necessary.”

One key to both of the women’s consistent rise to prominence has been their longtime coach and promoter, Adam Pollack. Not only is he proud to see his boxers become successful, but he also enjoys being with them for the ride.

“I mean that’s every coaches dream to groom a fighter,” he said.

Certainly, when the hype wears down and the fights begin, the “unforgettable” event card has the potential to live up to its tag.

“They’re that good to justify it,” Pollack said. “I mean, they’ve won national championships. They’ve won international titles. They’re moving along well as pros.”