Christian boy band on Broadway

For actor Richie Akers, Theatre Cedar Rapids’ upcoming production of Altar Boyz has meant grueling work and physically demanding rehearsals.

“I’ve lost like 30 pounds in the past two to three months,” he said. “After every rehearsal I am a sweaty mess.”

After months of challenging rehearsals, Akers will take the stage in the opening night performance of Altar Boyz. Today’s show will start at 7:30 p.m. in Theatre Cedar Rapids’ temporary home, TCR Lindale, 4444 First Ave. N.E., and it will run through Sept. 27. Admission is $15 to $25.

Altar Boyz tells the story of a Christian boy band making the transition from small town Ohio to New York City. The group members are essentially boy-band stereotpyes — Matthew serves as the Justin Timberlake of the ensemble, Mark is feminine and flamboyant, Luke spent time in rehab, Juan is a ladies’ man, and Abraham is “the Jewish one.” As the boys deal with their demons, the theatrical production occurs as a real-time concert that features audience interaction.

Akers said he holds high hopes for the production.

“It’s so funny and sincere,” he said. “It’s having fun with religion … [and] boy bands. It’s going to blow people away.”

Director Casey Prince, whose past productions at Theatre Cedar Rapids include The Jungle Book, Aladdin, and High School Musical, said he is also looking forward to opening night. He is excited about the buzz surrounding the show, he said, and he confirmed Akers’ point about the physical nature of the performance.

“This is by far the most physically challenging show I’ve done, as far as getting the cast prepared,” he said. “The show is essentially an hour and a half of cardiovascular workout while singing.”

Though the rehearsals were physically intense, Akers said, he had fun building relationships with his fellow cast members.

“The relationships you build are really important [in a theater production],” he said. “[After months of rehearsals], I feel like I’ve known [the cast] my whole life.”

Another obstacle for the Altar Boyz production is its themes and overall presentation. Prince said he’s aware that poking fun at religion can be tricky. However, he thinks that the heart of the show is sincere.

“If done right, anyone of any religion can have a fun time at this show,” he said.