Revived UI group gives students advertising insight

Although students don’t have the opportunity to formally study advertising at the UI, one group is aiming to help them gain experience in the field.

The re-emergence of Students in Advertising is entering its second semester at the UI. The initial tenure of the chapter ended in May 2007 after members failed to take initiative for leadership positions, and the program was combined with campus marketing chapters.

The Tippie College of Business organization is unique because membership is also open to students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences. Most Tippie groups are only open to business students.

Members of the organization worked the entire academic year of 2008 to bring this opportunity to students since its inception last spring.

“It took a full semester to get representation,” Arafat said.

The University of Illinois, University of Missouri, and Indiana University all have an advertising major, which enables students to learn about internships. In fact, the UI is one of few Midwestern universities that doesn’t offer advertising as a major. Arafat said this is another benefit Students in Advertising can offer UI students who are interested in the field.

“We hear about internship opportunities before they would, and we know what companies are looking for in students,” she said.

UI junior Ashley Butler, who attended the organization’s first meeting on Tuesday in the Blank Honors Center, said she is considering joining the group.

“It would help me with networking, and it’s a good thing to put on your résumé,” she said.

Students in Advertising Vice President Megan Gleason said meetings for the organization, which take place biweekly, also help students decide which sector of the field — web-based or print-based — they would like to enter.

“There are some companies who focus solely on web or print,” she said. “Some are full service.”

Members of the organization have planned trips for students this year to attend the Ad Summit Conference in Minneapolis and the Chicago Advertising Federation Career Day.

During the conferences, students are introduced to officials from companies who have leverage in the industry. Representatives from Leo Burnett, who ran the McDonald’s “I’m Lovin’ It” campaign, and members from the company DDB, which came up with the Bud-frog commercials for Anheuser-Busch, will be available to students.

Arafat said that though the UI doesn’t have advertising as a major, it’s necessary for the university’s students to have access to marketing experience.

“Advertising is always something that’s going to be needed,” she said. “If you don’t have ads for your product, it’s hard to get it out there.”