Same old racial stereotypes

The debut of “The Cleveland Show” is less than one month away and I’m already sweating it.

I’m not too concerned that three minutes of dialogue spoken in Cleveland’s trademark drawl will fill the requisite 22 minutes of an episode. I’m also not worried that Cleveland is essentially a foil to Peter and not interesting enough to carry his own plot lines. I’ve even overcome my bitterness toward FOX for cancelling my beloved “King of the Hill.”

Instead, like other white liberals in the media who are afflicted with politically-correct-syndrome, I am worried that enjoying this show makes me look like a racist. Let’s examine the evidence.

The Brown (insert your own joke here) family closely resembles the Griffins — a smart-aleck baby, a dim-witted, overweight son, and a sensible homemaker for a mother. However, in the place of the angst-ridden and sexually awkward family punchline Meg, “The Cleveland Show” has the flirtatious Roberta, a stereotype straight off the Bratz doll shelf.

In promotional material, Roberta’s appearance has changed considerably, leading me to believe the show’s creators are already concerned about drawing flak for playing to black stereotyping and are making a preemptive apology. Initially portrayed with bare shoulders and midriff, denim skirt, curly hair, gold hoop earrings, stilettos, and a sideways newsboy hat, Roberta’s recent teaser appearances dress her in more modest jeans and tennis shoes and lose the hat and curls in place of highlighted, straight hair as if to channel Tyra Banks instead of Chaka Khan.

While Roberta underwent this transformation in the show’s advertising, her baby brother Rallo suddenly grew an afro. The afro (best worn, in my opinion, by Julius Erving) is another tired black stereotype that the show has already proven capable of exploiting. ‘Haireotypes’ are tragically overdone (i.e. basketball Herky and his fade) and beneath the standard of “Family Guy.” Why should Rallo, the spin-off Stewie, get away with such a cheap laugh? Apparently Roberta wouldn’t let him borrow her hair straightener.

There’s a tradition of black family sitcoms — including television classics like “The Cosby Show” and “The Jeffersons,” and animated shows like “The Boondocks.” However, “The Cleveland Show” differs from its predecessors in that both the creator (Seth MacFarlane) and star (Mike Henry) are white. Given the tendency for “Family Guy” to occasionally delve into racial humor, I am left to wonder if “The Cleveland Show” can deliver the same caliber of comedy from a black-centric perspective when the two main creative influences are white.

Barack Obama’s biracial presidency has been heralded countless times as the bellwether of a ‘post-racial America.’ As a president he (theoretically) elevates the black perspective in politics and reinvents the white one.

So, the new fall line-up of post-racial America includes “The Cleveland Show”? I’m less than convinced.