Metal band Suicide Silence’s second album falls flat

Suicide Silence stresses the “death” in the hard-core genre “death metal.” That isn’t to say Suicide Silence completely crashes in its sophomore album, No Time to Bleed, but the mark it leaves behind on the listener is excruciatingly painful.

It’s evident in No Time to Bleed that Suicide Silence has hit a one note. Nothing featured on the album sounds any different from the tracks recorded on the band’s first release, The Cleansing.

Suicide Silence has barely grown in the years between its two full-length releases, which keeps the group lagging behind when it comes to its shows with more prominent, and infinitely better, metal names such as Mudvayne and Black Label Society.

One of the major problems with No Time to Bleed is the monotony. The same riffs are used 30 seconds into the opening of the tracks “Wake up” and “Suffer,” and both could have easily blended into The Cleansing without listeners even knowing the difference.

Vocalist Mitch Lucker sounds no better than a high-school boy bellowing through scratched and tarnished vocal cords. Death metal isn’t a type of music known for beautiful vocals, but Lucker isn’t attempting to make his sound any different from the rest of the market.

When the boring and overdone singing is pushed to the side, it’s apparent the guitarists — Chris Garza and Mark Heylmun — deserve an ovation. The headache Lucker leaves the listener is only alleviated by the incredibly talented stringmen Suicide Silence has managed to snag.

Although Garza and Heylmun’s take on guitar playing could be mistaken as simple, the two make up the only pieces of the album that are effortless enough to validate any sort of artistic form Suicide Silence may have. The ease with which these two maneuver the guitar around while still managing a slightly different tone in each song garners a parcel of respect.

No Time to Bleed is made up of sheer, brutal tunes that evidently have not had much time and effort put into their development. The album is a disgrace to metal and better left unplayed.