Iowa Athletics to conduct independent review of women’s gymnastics program  

According to a release, members of the team and staff recently expressed concerns regarding head coach Larissa Libby and the environment of the program.
Isabella Tisdale
Iowa head coach Larissa Libby yells “Go Hawks” as the crowd wishes her a happy birthday during a gymnastics meet between No. 20 Iowa and No. 41 Southern Utah at Xtream Arena in Coralville on Friday, Jan. 26, 2024. The Hawkeyes defeated the Thunderbirds 195.800 to 195.425. (Isabella Tisdale/The Daily Iowan)

Iowa Athletics will conduct an independent review of the women’s gymnastics program, the department said in a release Thursday.

“Recently, members of the team and staff brought forward concerns regarding [head coach Larissa Libby], related to the environment within the program. After learning of these concerns, it was determined an independent review of the program was warranted. We are committed to the well-being of our student-athletes and to ensuring that they train and compete in a respectful and safe environment,” the statement read.

In her 20th season as head coach and 24th with the program, Libby has been placed on paid administrative leave to “protect the integrity of the review.” The statement clarified this action is not a disciplinary measure.

Phil Catanzano, co-founder of the Education and Sports Law Group, will conduct the review.

When Libby talked with The Daily Iowan in February 2023 about the culture she’s tried to build at Iowa, the head coach emphasized encouraging athletes to find value outside of gymnastics and “giving the women a voice and opinion so they don’t implicitly take orders from their coaches.”

As a former gymnast, Libby said she understands the history of toxicity surrounding the sport and the pressure an athlete may feel to achieve perfection. Libby told the DI she hopes the gymnastics culture at Iowa helps “undo all of that [trauma]” the athletes may have experienced growing up.

“I don’t think that people realize the impact that you have on a child in four years, and I think that these are some of the most impressionable times in their lives,” Libby told the DI in March 2023. “It’s when they change the most and when they grow the most. It’s when they’re supposed to figure themselves out. As coaches, we have a massive part in developing their sense of self. You’d be amazed how little it takes to destroy it, especially for a female.”

The Hawkeyes recently placed 10th at the Big Ten Championships, and four GymHawks were selected to compete at NCAA Regionals on April 4. One of the selected gymnasts is Larissa Libby’s daughter, second-year floor specialist Bailey Libby.