Thoughts and prayers once again after Parkland shooting. Now what?

TNS
Mourners gather at a vigil that was held for the victims of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018. (Jim Rassol/Sun Sentinel/TNS)

The conversation over gun rights roars louder than ever following the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida. Students across the nation, Iowa City included, are demanding action from our country’s political leaders to stop the trend.

The following are statements made by Iowa’s two senators (Joni Ernst, R; Chuck Grassley, R) and Iowa’s 2nd District Congressman (Dave Loebsack, D) in the aftermath of recent gun-related tragedies across the country.

The statements were either made on their Twitter accounts or personal websites, and have a similar message: thoughts and prayers are with the families of those affected.

Parkland, Florida

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

Feb. 14, 2018

17 dead

14 injured

AR-15 (legally purchased)

Nikolas Cruz, 19, American

The government must do better to follow these existing processes to prevent future tragedies. I hope that Director Wray will work quickly to address the breakdowns at the FBI and to cooperate fully with the Judiciary Committee’s oversight efforts. The public deserves answers and accountability so these mistakes are not repeated.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley

“I think it’s unfortunate that what we are seeing already, about 24 hours out from this, is some folks are talking about mental health issues, other folks are talking about gun safety issues. I think we have to talk about all of these issues.”

Rep. Dave Loebsack

First Baptist Church

Sutherland Springs, Texas

Nov. 5, 2017

25 dead

20 injured

Ruger AR-556 rifle (legally purchased)

Devin Patrick Kelley, 26, American

“The Sutherland Springs shooting was carried out by an individual who should not have been able to purchase a firearm under current law. While in the Air Force, Devin Kelley was court martialed for domestic violence. He served prison time and was discharged from the Air Force for bad conduct. But because his information was not entered into the NICS system as the law required, Kelley was able to purchase four weapons after his release from prison, including the weapon he used in the Sutherland Springs shooting. Kelley killed 26 people attending Sunday services at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, and wounded 20 more…”

Sen. Chuck Grassley

“What we have to do is to make sure the laws that are in place are being followed. In many of the instances there have been loopholes that need to be closed…”

Sen. Joni Ernst

Las Vegas

Las Vegas, Nevada

Oct. 1 2017

58 dead

527 injured

Multiple AR-15 style rifles (legally purchased)

Stephen Paddock, 64, American

“My prayers are with all of the victims in Las Vegas, and their loved ones affected by this senseless act of violence… “As we learn more about what happened in the days ahead, let us come together and show our gratitude to our first responders and the other unsung heroes who put their lives on the line for others.”

Sen. Joni Ernst

Pulse Nightclub

Orlando, Florida

June 12, 2016

49 dead

53 injured

Sig Sauer MCX rifle (legally purchased)

Omar Mateen, 29, American

Sandy Hook

Newtown, Connecticut

Dec. 14, 2012

26 dead

Bushmaster Model XM15-E2S rifle (mother’s gun)

Adam Lanza, 20, American

“We pray for the families who continue to mourn the loss of their loved ones. We pray for all victims of violence, gun or otherwise…We have looked at these issues before, but I welcome this renewed discussion. I think the need for the Judiciary Committee to hold hearings after Newtown is clear.

Although Newtown and Tucson are terrible tragedies, the deaths in Newtown should not be used to put forward every gun control measure that has been floating around for years. The problem is greater than guns alone.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley

“And I knew, after the tragedy that happened at Sandy Hook, I knew that when we went back into session that we would hear from our colleagues across the aisle on Second Amendment issues. And, so, I went in prepared to stand up and rebut any of the nonsense that was coming from that side of the aisle because, regardless, it was a tragedy, however, we still have our Second Amendment rights and I’m going to stand up for those.”

Sen. Joni Ernst, in a Lyon County forum in 2014

“Throughout that time many things have changed, but one thing has remained the same: We must do everything we can to keep students safe. The tragedy that happened at Sandy Hook brought that home for everyone.”

Rep. Dave Loebsack in 2013