Review | ‘Challengers’ serves a perfect blend of sports spectacle and romance

Luca Guadagnino’s edge-of-your-seat tennis romance stars Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O’Connor.
Jack Gruber-USA TODAY
Mar 10, 2024; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Zendaya presents the award for achievement in cinematography during the 96th Oscars at the Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 10, 2024. Mandatory Credit: Jack Gruber-USA TODAY

Tennis movies are few and far between, but Luca Guadagnino’s “Challengers” delivered a riveting and occasionally laugh-out-loud romantic sports drama.

Guadagnino has been on a directorial hot streak over the last decade, delivering classics like “Call Me by Your Name,” the horror hit “Susperia,” and the gory romance “Bones and All.” While every film in his catalog is unique, his visual flare for capturing his subjects as statuesque, glowing figures shines brighter than ever here.

Starring Mike Faist and Josh O’Connor as the best-friend tennis-playing duo Art and Patrick, the film takes place over fifteen years as the duo falls apart following their respective sports careers. Wedged between the talented tennis double is Zendaya’s portrayal of the powerful tennis superstar Tashi Duncan, who sparks an insane love triangle that drives the two men to mental anguish.

Going into the film, I worried that the professional tennis setting would be nothing more than just that — a setting. Rather, the sport is intrinsically woven into the story of Art, Patrick, and Tashi’s relationship.

Early in the film, after the three initially meet, Tashi remarks, “Tennis is a relationship.” What I initially thought was just a cool line to portray how ingrained tennis is in Tashi’s life, it became clear towards the final moments that this quote is the film’s thesis.

Every tennis match is treated like life and death, and the intensity between the players is always palpable. Guadagninoslows every movement down, highlighting every twitch and glance. Every drop of sweat those drips from Art or Patrick’s brow lands on the court like a gunshot.

Guadagnino frames his characters in almost divine lighting, contributing to the stakes which only grow as we learn more about the players. The entire film takes place throughout a single grudge match between Art and Patrick at the end of their careers, flashing back to important moments of their lives with Tashi after every game. What could have been a gimmick ended up making the film uniquely intense as every time we returned to the climactic matchup, I scooted closer to the edge of my seat.

Seeing the different ways Tashi exerts her control over Art and Patrick is fascinating and makes for a wildly entertaining relationship. Although none of the characters are necessarily likable, I can’t help but root for them for no reason other than to see what kind of mind games they’ll play with each other next.

After learning every hilarious and dramatic detail of the love triangle’s toxic relationship, the final set of the match plays out in full and delivers one of the most transcendent finales I’ve seen in a movie all year.

Among the jaw-dropping camera tricks Guadagnino pulls off in the explosive conclusion is an extended shot that places the audience in the perspective of the tennis ball. Once the cut into the ball’s POV hit, I felt my soul leave my body. I am a sucker for strange, visually bold choices — whether they’re good or not — and watching a volley from the perspective of the ball was something I never knew I needed in my life but am so glad I got to see.

Guadagnino distorts the court in various ways during the matchup, making the players look closer than they are, filming them from beneath the court as if the ground is invisible, and launching the camera around the court to mimic the forceful racquet hits between Art and Patrick.

Without gushing too much, I loved the ending of the film. While I think the journey may not totally be worth the spectacular destination — the film feels much longer than its two-hour runtime — that conclusion is worth the price of admission.

If you are a fan of psychological romance drama, sports drama, toxic throuples, or most of all tennis, “Challengers” is sure to thrill you.

“Challengers” is now playing in theaters.