Iowa men’s wrestling prevails over Nebraska in Big Ten opener

The Hawkeyes’ 22-10 win on Friday marks their 15th straight dual meet victory over the Cornhuskers.
Sara Stumpff
Iowa’s 174-pound Patrick Kennedy wrestles Columbia’s Garrett Bilgrav at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City on Friday, Dec. 8, 2023.

A blizzard didn’t stop the No. 3 Iowa men’s wrestling team from going into Lincoln and taking care of business.

Iowa opened its Big Ten schedule with a 22-10 win against sixth-ranked Nebraska, marking the Hawkeyes’ 15th straight dual meet victory over the Cornhuskers. Iowa won seven of the 10 bouts and is now 6-0 on the season.

“These guys are taking anything that’s thrown at them” head coach Tom Brands told Hawkeye Sports. “They know it is an important time of the year, getting closer and closer to the postseason, and they keep getting better. They get tougher when it is a tough situation. That is what we love about them, and that is what they love about the sport.”   

Results

All rankings via Intermat

125 POUNDS: No. 5 Drake Ayala (IA) over No. 7 Caleb Smith (NE) via decision 

It seems Ayala’s confidence has continued to build this season. He showed aggression in his 7-3 win Friday night.

133 POUNDS:  No. 30 Jacob Van Dee (NE) over No. 7 Brody Teske (IA) via 10-4 decision 

141 POUNDS: No. 1 Real Woods (IA) over No. 7 Brock Hardy (NE) via decision 

Woods and Hardy met three times last season, including in the Big Ten title match and the NCAA Tournament semifinals. Woods won all three.

He continued that win streak over Hardy with a 7-2 victory on Friday. Hardy’s two points came from an escape and a stalling call.

149 POUNDS: No. 1 Ridge Lovett (NE) over No. 12 Caleb Rathjen (IA) via 6-0 decision 

157 POUNDS: No. 2 Jared Franek (IA) over No. 3 Peyton Robb (NE) via decision 

Franek was trailing, 4-2, with under a minute left in regulation when he took a shot at Robb’s legs and scored a three-point takedown, riding out the Cornhusker to a 5-4 win.

165 POUNDS: No. 7 Michael Caliendo (IA) over No. 19 Antrell Taylor (NE) via decision

Caliendo’s speed and athleticism showed in this match as he cruised to an 8-3 win.

174 POUNDS: Patrick Kennedy (IA) over No. 30 Bubba Wilson (NE) via decision 

Wilson struck first with a takedown, but Kennedy responded en route to a 9-5 win.

“Coming in we knew it was going to be a big match, for both me and the team. He’s a common opponent I’ve seen before, and getting a win like that in the middle of the year and starting the Big Ten duals feels good” Patrick Kennedy told Hawkeye Sports. “There has been a lot of areas in my game that I feel I didn’t capitalize on out there, so a lot of improvements to make.”   

184 POUNDS:  Elise Brown Ton (NE) over Aiden Riggins (IA) via 18-5 major decision 

197 POUNDS: No. 16 Zach Glazier (IA) over No. 11 Silas Allred (NE) via major decision 

Glazier further cemented his spot at 197 with an 11-2 win over reigning Big Ten Champion Silas Allred. The Hawkeye had nearly two minutes of riding time as he secured the dual meet win for his squad.

“Going out there it’s just calm, cool, and collected” Zach Glazier told Hawkeye Sports about his mindset before a match. “Moving my hands, moving my feet, wrestle hard, and just being thankful to be out there lets me let it fly. The biggest thing I can do for myself is just relax and let it fly.”   

HEAVYWEIGHT: Bradley Hill (IA) over Harley Andrews (NE) via decision 

Despite two-sport athlete Ben Keuter joining the team and warming up before the dual, Hill remained the starter at heavyweight for the Hawkeyes and did his job. Hill closed out Friday’s dual meet with a 4-1 victory. 

Up next

Iowa will be back in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Monday against No. 10 Minnesota. The dual meet is set for 7 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Network.