The Daily Iowan’s 2024 Caucus Guide

Check out our guide for changes to Iowa’s primary election, information on the candidates running, a walkthrough explaining how to caucus, and more.
Grace Smith
The Iowa State Capitol is seen before the opening of the 2022 Legislative Session in Des Moines, Iowa, on Monday, Jan. 10, 2022.

How to Caucus

Leer este artículo en Español

While the Republican caucuses remains the same, the Democratic caucuses are now an administrative meeting for Democrat officials, and caucusgoers will mail in their picks for the Democratic presidential nominee.

Republicans

What happens?: The location where you can caucus, which is normally in a public school or center, will be released a few weeks before Jan. 15 — caucus day. At your location, a “straw poll” will be conducted, and caucusgoers will write down their preferred Republican nominee on a piece of paper and hand it to an official, and the ballots are counted. Once the ballots are tallied up, party leadership will report it to the Republican Party of Iowa to compile the state results.

When: Jan. 15, 2024

What do I need?:  You need to be a registered Republican to caucus. You can register day-of or online at the caucus. Bring an ID to register, according to the website.

Democrats

What happens?: The Democratic caucuses this year are all mail-in. Iowa Democrats can cast their presidential nominee by mail. To request a “Presidential Preference Card,” according to the party’s website, fill out the online form or printed form and return it in the mail. The last day to request a card is Feb. 19, 2024, and the cards will be mailed out starting Jan. 12, 2024.

When: Now until card requests are closed Feb. 19, 2024

What do I need?: You need to be a registered Democrat to caucus. You can register online by Feb. 19, 2024, to participate.

Where to Caucus in Johnson County

Meet the Candidates