Live updates | No. 22 Iowa football returns to Kinnick Stadium, hosts Rutgers

The Hawkeyes and Scarlet Knights will kick off at 2:40 p.m.
Ayrton Breckenridge
Rutgers quarterback Evan Simon lunges away from Iowa linebacker Jay Higgins to avoid a safety during a football game between Iowa and Rutgers at SHI Stadium in Piscataway, N.J., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022. The Hawkeyes defeated the Scarlet Knights, 27-10. Higgins had five total tackles.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The No. 22 Iowa football team is back in action at Kinnick Stadium to host Rutgers with kickoff set for 2:40 p.m.

The Hawkeyes, now 7-2 overall, are coming off of a 10-7 win over the Northwestern Wildcats at Wrigley Field on Nov. 4, propelled to the victory by a 50-plus-yard field goal from kicker Drew Stevens.

But the last time the Hawkeyes were in Kinnick Stadium was on Oct. 21, in which they dropped their second loss of the season to Minnesota, 12-10, after the now-infamous invalid fair catch ruling against defensive back Cooper DeJean.

DeJean will be a player to watch today — but on offense after playing two snaps alongside Hawkeye quarterback Deacon Hill in the Northwestern game, including a carry for eight yards. DeJean has indicated excitement at the possibility of playing on the offense again, but the concern remains with risking an injury that would remove a key part of the Iowa defense.

That Hawkeye offense might have some voids in it today with starting center Logan Jones, left guard Rusty Feth, and wide receiver Diante Vines all questionable to play in the contest.

Rutgers is an impressive 6-3 overall, only dropping games to Wisconsin, No. 3 Ohio State, and No. 2 Michigan.

The Scarlet Knights’ offense is led by quarterback Gavin Wimsatt, who has thrown 101 completions on 206 attempts for 1,263 yards, eight touchdowns, and five interceptions this season.

But the biggest threat on their offense is running back Kyle Monangai, who is questionable today but is averaging a whopping 100.3 rushing yards per game — leading the Big Ten — with seven touchdowns.

The Rutgers defense sits fifth in the Big Ten — one spot behind Iowa — with only 18 points allowed per game. Should the Scarlet Knights remain consistent on that side of the ball in today’s contest, the struggling Hawkeye offense will be put to the test today.

COIN TOSS: Rutgers won the opening toss and will defer to the second half. Iowa will receive the ball to start the game and defend the north end zone.

10:58 1Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — The run game is already a big option for the Hawkeyes early on: Running back Leshon Williams took a 24-yard run to Rutgers’ 42 yard line on just the second play of the game. Hawkeye quarterback Deacon Hill looks calm and has targeted receiver Nico Ragaini twice with two solid throws this drive, but both were incomplete. So Hawkeye kicker Drew Stevens came on for a field goal attempt — and missed wide right. Rutgers ball.

6:57 1Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 —On a third-and-two stand in Hawkeye territory, two Rutgers false starts pushed the Scarlet Knights back 10 yards and set the stage for a punt, which defensive back and punt returner Cooper DeJean was forced to fair catch. The Iowa offense will take over on its own five with a lot of work left to get to the other end zone.

4:17 1Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — Hawkeye receiver Kaleb Brown is finding himself more and more involved in this Iowa offense. He just took a rush to the left and ran through a Rutgers defender in a fight for a first down, keeping the drive alive. Running back Jaziun Patterson lined up wide on the left side on the next third down and was open as he was cutting across the field, but Hill’s throw went straight through his hands. Hawkeye punter Tory Taylor is on to do his thing.

0:38 1Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — A third penalty on the Rutgers offense set the Scarlet Knights back another five yards on this third down, but quarterback Gavin Wimsatt found receiver Ian Strong for a 29-yard gain. Hawkeye defensive back Jermari Harris had Strong wrapped up upon the catch but failed to make the play or the tackle, leading to the big gain. Rutgers timeout.

END 1Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — The Scarlet Knights, stuffed on third down, will punt the ball away to the Hawkeyes to start the second quarter.

11:16 2Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — Iowa’s Williams is continuing to show his value on the offense, making a 17-yard gain this time on a reception from Hill, whose pass was right on the numbers. The Hawkeyes then lined up in the I formation on fourth-and-one of the next set of downs before taking a timeout to think things over.

And Taylor is now back out to punt. Rutgers ball deep in its own territory.

9:02 2Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — A Wimsatt pass to Rutgers receiver Christian Dremel saved the Scarlet Knights from any threat of a Hawkeye safety, but a good pass breakup from Harris gets him his redemption after the last big Rutgers gain and gives Iowa the ball again. A short punt puts Iowa just behind the 50 yard line — its best starting field position of the game.

5:51 2Q Iowa 0, Rutgers 0 — The tush push is here to stay in Iowa City, used twice successfully this game by Hill for a pair of Hawkeye first downs. But Hill, who had a good 10 yards of field to rush into when the pass wasn’t there, was sacked — but saved by a holding penalty on Rutgers. On first down, Williams caught another pass and gained seven. It will be third-and-one after the media timeout.

2:50 2Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — And another QB sneak makes an Iowa first down. Hill found Ragaini cutting across the field for a seven-yard gain, but fullback Hayden Large was wide open near the end zone. What could have been a touchdown ultimately brought Stevens back on for a 32-yard attempt, which he connected.

Iowa takes the lead by three as we near halftime.

1:23 2Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — Harris made another athletic pass breakup to force fourth down, giving the ball back to Iowa on a Rutgers punt for one last shot at more points on the board.

0:14 2Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — Hawkeye receiver Seth Anderson is back with a big catch for a 21-yard gain into Rutgers territory on a beautiful out route, and Hill then found Ragaini on an out route of his own for an 11-yard gain. And Hill then weaved a tight throw between two Rutgers defenders to tight end Addison Ostrenga for a first down, putting the Hawkeyes at the Rutgers’ 23 yard line.

A beautiful catch by Brown pushed Iowa up into the red zone. Timeout Rutgers.

And Hill is intercepted by Rutgers cornerback Max Melton — erasing Iowa’s best drive of the game thus far.

HALFTIME Iowa 3, Rutgers 0.

10:06 3Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — The Scarlet Knights made slow and steady progress to open the second half before Hawkeye linebacker Nick Jackson made a massive stop on third down to stop a rush up the middle and cut the Rutgers drive short.  After a Rutgers false start penalty, the Scarlet Knights were forced to punt, and Iowa will take over again in its own territory.

The Hawkeyes’ last drive of the first half should serve as at least some momentum and proof they can drive deep into Rutgers territory despite the interception, but it’s a matter of repeating execution this time around. We’ll see if the Iowa coaching staff will trust Hill to throw the ball after that almost-perfect drive.

7:51 3Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — Hill took a deep shot to Brown on a go route but overthrew him by about five yards. And with Hill in the shotgun on third-and-nine, a poorly placed pass to the sideline went incomplete, bringing Taylor on to punt. Rutgers ball.

6:29 3Q Iowa 3, Rutgers 0 — Rutgers found nothing on that drive, the Hawkeye defensive line limiting the Big Ten’s leading rusher in Kyle Monangai to just 39 yards in the game thus far. A punt makes it Iowa ball again.

4:18 3Q Iowa 6, Rutgers 0 — There he is. Hill just found true freshman tight end Zach Ortwerth wide open for a 54-yard gain … but three plays later, each of no gain, and Stevens is back in for a field goal. It’s good, and Iowa is up by six.

2:36 3Q Iowa 6, Rutgers 0 — The Hawkeye defense seems far from fatigued, forcing a Scarlet Knight three-and-out. Pressure on the punt leaves the kick rather short and puts the Hawkeyes at their own 46.

END 3Q Iowa 6, Rutgers 0 — Ragaini found a handful of yards — 13, to be exact — after the catch on a screen pass, propelling the Hawkeyes up against the red zone once again. It will be Iowa ball, second-and-eight on the Rutgers 26, to start the fourth quarter.

13:43 4Q Iowa 6, Rutgers 0 — Hill found Ragaini again for a 17-yard gain into the red zone — and Hill is now at 203 yards on the night, his first 200-yard throwing game of his college career and the first Hawkeye quarterback to do it this season. Timeout Iowa.

13:38 4Q Iowa 12, Rutgers 0 — Touchdown Hawkeyes. Touchdown Jaziun Patterson, up the middle from the four. But the play is currently under review — and confirmed. That scoring drive is nine plays for 54 yards nearly five minutes.

The Hawkeyes then got two more, Hill remaining patient in the pocket and finding Brown cutting across the field. That play is also under review … and reversed. The two-point conversion is no good, Brown’s knee down before the ball crossed into the end zone, so two scores from Rutgers could give the Scarlet Knights the lead.

12:13 4Q Iowa 12, Rutgers 0 — A mistimed snap, although recovered by Rutgers, sent the ball flying behind Wimsatt and pushed the Scarlet Knights even further back into its own territory, bringing about a punt. It will be Iowa ball at mid-field.

5:43 4Q Iowa 15, Rutgers 0 — Hill found tight end Addison Ostrenga for a five-yard gain and a first down into Rutgers territory, and three Patterson rushes brought about a handful of yardage gains — leading to a big 13-yard gain on a reverse to Brown that put Iowa at the eight. There was a blatant horse collar on Brown that went uncalled, but the Hawkeyes made up for it on a fake pitch into a beautiful catch from Ostrenga once more.

Hill bobbled the snap on second down, though, losing nine yards and making third-and-12 where Patterson gained six back. That brought Stevens back on for a 24-yard attempt, which he nailed. Iowa is now up 15.

4:54 4Q Iowa 15, Rutgers 0 — Hawkeye safety Quinn Schulte just snagged his first interception of the year on a terrible throw from Wimsatt, which gave him plenty of time to get to the ball and make an easy play on it, bringing it all the way back to the Rutgers nine yard line. And the Hawkeyes now have another chance to add to the lead.

4:39 4Q Iowa 22, Rutgers 0 — And it seems like a day of firsts. Brown caught a very short pass on third-and-10, his blockers clearing the way for him to hit the end zone. That’s Brown’s first touchdown of the year, and the win looks solidified for the Hawkeyes.

4:19 4Q Iowa 22, Rutgers 0 — A QB hurry from Iowa defensive lineman Ethan Hurkett forced a Rutgers incomplete pass and brought the Scarlet Knights’ punting unit back onto the field yet again. How many times have I said that today? Iowa ball.

0:30 4Q Iowa 22, Rutgers 0 — Iowa running backs are eating today. There’s Kaleb Johnson with an explosive 27-yard rush into the red zone once more, and it looks like the Hawkeyes are going to use him as the primary ball carrier to try to run this score up – literally.

But Hill just took the knee, saving all bettors who took the under, and securing the Hawkeye win.

FINAL: Iowa 22, Rutgers 0.

This is a developing story. Follow along for updates here or @dipregame on Twitter.