Big Grove Brewery prepares to open new production facility

The new facility will open early next year and increase production by over 50 percent. The expansion is located at a former Goodwill Distribution Center on the East side of Iowa City.
Sahithi Shankaiahgari
A Big Grove employee works in the taproom at Big Grove Brewery & Taproom on Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2023.

Big Grove Brewery is expanding in the Iowa City area with a new production facility that will be ready for use in February.

The off-site facility is being constructed at a former Goodwill Distribution Center located at 3825 Liberty Drive on the east side of Iowa City.

“The Hop Lot” will include approximately 68,000 new barrels, allowing an increase in production by over 50 percent.

In a statement released on the company’s website, Big Grove Brewery’s Director of Brewing, Andy Joynt said the expansion will allow trucks and trailers to easily pick up beer for distribution, in comparison to doing so in the small parking lot of the Iowa City brewery and taproom.

Janelle Buxton, director of Big Grove’s industry and public affairs, said Big Grove was running out of space to create their seasonal drinks because of the necessity that came with their year-round brews, such as Easy Eddie and Citrus Surfer.

“It’s a good problem to have,” Buxton said. “An even more ideal state is once we get this production facility open, then all of our taproom locations will be brewing their own beers. Right now, we’re just not able to do that because we are all brewing and supporting each other’s locations.”

Along with being able to produce more seasonal and creative drink options, the new facility is working to be more energy efficient. A large portion of new equipment coming from an auction in California.

Buxton said the brewing equipment took 15 semi-trucks to complete the delivery to Iowa City.

“It’s not brand new,” she said. “Big Grove tries to buy everything as resourcefully as we can.”

The increase in production will also make sure shelves are stocked around the state of Iowa. A necessity after becoming the state’s biggest craft beer brand by sales this year.

Mike Wehr, chief operating officer of the company, said it is a team effort to reach this point shortly after celebrating the ten-year anniversary of the original location in Solon.

“It’s a big goal to be the No. 1 craft beer,” Wehr said. “Especially when you’re starting out with seven and 14-barrel tanks.”

With a new taproom opening in December, Wehr said the new expansion will give them more room to branch out and continue to expand more in the future, but having a positive impact on the community is the most important.

“Our goal is to continue to impact communities,” he said. “So we’re going to try and find a community that wants to have a big growth and wants to be part of the bigger family.”