Iowa football Week 7 notebook | Hawkeyes look to hold onto Heartland Trophy against new-look Wisconsin team

Iowa transfer quarterback Deacon Hill will return to Wisconsin, his first collegiate offer out of high school, expecting to find a different defense awaiting him.
Emily Nyberg
Iowa football players run onto the field before the the Iowa homecoming football game between Iowa and Purdue at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City on Saturday, Oct. 7, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Boilermakers 20-14.

In the Big Ten West’s final year of existence, Iowa football will look to move into first place in the division on Saturday at Wisconsin. The fate of the division title usually comes down to the Hawkeyes and Badgers, and this season is no different, as the pair hold the top two division records heading into Week 7. 

Battling to retain the Heartland Trophy after a 24-10 triumph in 2022, Iowa heads to Madison to take on what’s usually a familiar foe. But the Badgers have a different look to them this season under new head coach Luke Fickell. 

After leading Cincinnati to its first College Football Playoff appearance in 2021, Fickell was hired by Wisconsin on Nov. 27, 2022, following a Badger loss to Minnesota to wrap up a 4-5 mark in the Big Ten. The former Bearcat donned the headset in Wisconsin’s Guaranteed Rate Bowl victory over Oklahoma State and has guided the Badgers to a 4-1 record this season. 

Iowa starting quarterback Deacon Hill wore the ‘W’ in 2021 and 2022 and still talks with his Badger roommates from last year. The Santa Barbara native said he would treat the return to his old stomping grounds as just another division game and wanted to “respect it for what it is.” 

As for Fickell’s effect on the program, Hill described how the “Cincinnati philosophy” will be in full force on Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium. 

“They had a lot of high-flying guys who run around the field and make plays,” the quarterback said of Fickell’s Bearcat teams, adding that those squads mixed man and post-safety looks on defense. 

One of the standouts on Fickell’s Badger defense is cornerback Ricardo Hallman, who is tied for best in the nation with four interceptions, including a 96-yard return for a touchdown last week against Rutgers. In that contest against the Scarlet Knights, the Miami native recorded an 89.3 Pro Football Focus grade, which ranked best out of any FBS cornerback in Week 6. 

Along with Hallman, safety Hunter Wohler shines in the secondary, leading the team with 50 tackles while also registering three pass defenses and a sack. Against Georgia Southern, the Muskego, Wisconsin, native intercepted two passes and recorded 10 tackles to earn Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. 

With such talent in the secondary, Hill will be focused on improving from last week’s performance, which consisted of several overthrows that he attributed to nerves causing him to grip the ball too tight. 

“The biggest thing right now is dialing in my footwork, staying calm, and being able to give our guys a chance. We have some playmakers,” he said. 

On the offensive side of the ball, the Badgers also have plenty of firepower, most notably in star running back Braelon Allen, who has dashed for 472 yards and seven scores this season. Iowa linebacker Jay Higgins called the back “explosive,” adding that the Hawkeyes will need all 11 defenders on point to contain the third-year player. 

Running more of a spread offense with three wide receivers at the line of scrimmage, Wisconsin has also employed Allen more as a pass-catcher this year than in the past. The Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin, native has more receptions this year than he had in all of 2022. 

Iowa defensive tackle Logan Lee said the Badgers run an up-tempo offense, adding that quarterback Tanner Mordecai lines up in the shotgun more often, which is distinct from past versions of the Wisconsin offense. 

“We’ve seen several times on film where they are trying to snap the ball after they get a first down before the first down marker is set,” Lee said. “It’s going to be huge for us to get the communication in, get in our stance, and get in the right alignment.” 

Regardless of Wisconsin’s new-look offense, Lee said the Hawkeye defensive line’s scheme won’t change a whole lot. As for the magnitude of Saturday’s matchup, the fifth-year said the expectations for Iowa remain the same as any other contest. 

“Rivalry games don’t mean that much,” Lee said. “It’s just the next game that’s the most important game of the year.” 

What could’ve been 

One of the biggest talking points after Iowa’s 20-14 win over Purdue last week was a play that never actually happened. Midway through the third quarter with the Hawkeyes in the red zone, Iowa left tackle Mason Richman broke off a block and lined up in the flat behind Hill to catch a pass. 

The offensive lineman had learned of the play on the Tuesday before the contest and said he had been visualizing the play all week, even taking mental reps in the hotel. Yet all his preparation wasn’t enough to contain his shock. 

“The play call came in and my stomach just dropped,” Richman said at media availability on Tuesday. “I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, oh my gosh.’” 

Facing pressure, Hill attempted a toss, but his offering was batted down by the Boilermaker defensive line, leaving Richman and his would-be offensive line blockers with nothing except their imagination on what could’ve happened. 

“I told Deacon he could’ve just shot putted the [ball] over, I think he just had to put a little more air under it, but I’m sure everyone’s going to be scouting for it now,” Richman said, adding that he had “no doubt” he would score. “So we’ll bring it back somewhere down the road … but it stinks we couldn’t get it done. We had a couple plans for celebrations.” 

The night before the game against the Boilermakers, both Richman and Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz were under the impression the left tackle wouldn’t even play on Saturday. In practice, Richman suffered a contusion to his leg after Iowa left guard Beau Stephens accidentally kneed him in a practice drill. 

“Beau’s got some big legs, so if it were anyone else’s I would have been perfectly fine for the game, but he had to make me questionable,” Richman said with a smile. 

Heading into the game listed as questionable on the Hawkeyes’ injury report, Richman told reporters he kept the mindset that he would be on the field as soon as he woke up Saturday morning. After a couple of pregame drills, Richman was cleared to compete. 

High school glory days 

In the fourth quarter against the Boilermakers, Higgins snagged his first interception of the season. The play was a long time coming for the Indianapolis native, whose last interception was a pick-six in his junior year of high school at Brebeuf Jesuit Prep. 

“You can tell I peaked in high school because I remember the play,” Higgins joked.

According to the linebacker, his then-teammate and current Purdue Boilermaker Joe Strickland tipped a pass from the opposing quarterback, and the ball landed right in the hands of Higgins, who scampered thirty yards into the end zone for a score. 

“They tried to stay away from me,” Higgins said of the opposing teams’ strategy back in high school. 

As for his first pick in the Black and Gold, Higgins was pleased but not entirely satisfied. 

“It would’ve been great if I stayed on my feet, [I’m] probably scoring,” he said. “Would’ve felt like [Iowa cornerback] Cooper DeJean out there.”  

Injury Report 

After missing last week due to injury, Iowa starting left guard Nick DeJong is not on the Hawkeyes’ depth chart this week. In his stead at the starting spot is Virginia transfer Rusty Feth, who filled in for DeJong against the Boilermakers. Ferentz said DeJong and tight end Addison Ostrenga have a chance to play on Saturday and has not ruled them out just yet. 

On the other hand, Ferentz added Hawkeye running back Jaziun Patterson and cornerback Deshaun Lee will be inactive in Madison. 

Hawkeye wide receiver Kaleb Brown did not see action last week due to what Ferentz referred to as “personal reasons.” This week, the Ohio State transfer is not on the depth chart. The head coach said the former four-star recruit practiced on Monday and Tuesday and did not rule out him playing on Saturday.