Around the Big Ten | Matchups, power rankings for Week 6 of the college football season

Daily Iowan Sports Editor Kenna Roering previews this weekend’s matchups and updates the Big Ten’s conference power rankings.
Ayrton Breckenridge
Iowa wide receiver Xavier Nwankpa celebrates after completing a tackle during a football game between Iowa and Michigan State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 26-16. Nwankpa had eight total tackles.

Power Rankings

1. Michigan – The Wolverines haven’t given up more than seven points in a game. 
  2. Penn State – Northwestern hung around in the first half. 
  3. Ohio State – Interested to see how the Buckeyes come out of the bye week following an emotional win over Notre Dame.
  4. Wisconsin- Wisconsin’s lone loss came against a solid Washington State squad. 
  5. Maryland – 5 TDs from Tagovailoa is enough to move the Terps up. 
  6. Iowa – Does Deacon Hill have what it takes to keep the Hawks’ Indy hopes alive?
  7. Rutgers – The Knights are finally ready to compete in the Big Ten.
  8. Michigan State – I feel bad for the players.
  9. Minnesota – Michigan will roll the Gophers.
  10. Purdue- Won the head-to-head match-up over the Illini. Big whoop. 
  11. Illinois – The Illinois offense somehow averages less points than Iowa 
  12. Indiana – Indiana’s highlight of the year so far is holding Ohio State to 23 points. 
  13. Nebraska- I still don’t feel bad for Nebraska fans. 
  14. Northwestern – I’m glad Northwestern’s 10 fans got to celebrate a touchdown last week. 

Matchups

Memorial Stadium: Nebraska (2-3, 0-2) @ Illinois (2-3, 0-2) 

Where/when to watch: 7 p.m. Friday on FS1 | Line: Illinois -4 | O/U: 41.5

Friday night football is for high school teams. So I guess this makes perfect sense.

Camp Randall Stadium: Rutgers (4-1, 1-1) @ Wisconsin (3-1, 1-0)

Where/when to watch: 11 a.m. Saturday on Peacock | Line: Wisconsin -13.5 | O/U: 46.5

This will be just the fifth all-time meeting between the Knights and Badgers. I honestly think this will be a great game. 

Ohio Stadium: Maryland (5-0, 2-0) @ No. 4 Ohio State (4-0, 1-0)

Where/when to watch: 11 a.m. Saturday on FOX | Line: Ohio State -19.5 | O/U: 55.5

A battle of unbeatens. The Terps have shown promise, but their undefeated hopes will come to an end on Saturday.

Ryan Field: Howard (2-2, 0-0) @ Northwestern (2-3, 1-2)

Where/when to watch: 2 p.m. Saturday on BTN | Line: NA | O/U: NA

Perfect time to shut off the TV and take a quick 30-minute snooze before the 2:30 games start. 

Kinnick Stadium: Purdue (2-3, 1-1) @ Iowa (4-1, 1-1) 

Where/when to watch: 2:30 p.m. Saturday on Peacock | Line: Iowa -2.5 | O/U: 39

Having a healthier QB under center might actually help the Hawkeyes open up the playbook. O/U on Deacon Hill QB sneaks? I’m going two. 

Huntington Bank Stadium: No. 2 Michigan (5-0, 2-0) @ Minnesota (3-2, 1-1)

Where/when to watch: 6:3o p.m. on Peacock | Line: Michigan -19.5 | O/U: 47.5

The origin story of the Little Brown Jug is entertaining and what makes college football so great.