Iowa women’s soccer hopeful of bounce-back in 2023

The Hawkeyes look to start this season on a higher note than their last season ended.
Iowa+midfielder+Elle+Otto+dribbles+the+ball+during+a+soccer+game+between+Iowa+and+Kansas+City+at+the+University+of+Iowa+Soccer+Complex+on+Sunday%2C+Aug.+20%2C+2023.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Roos+2-0.+
Emily Nyberg
Iowa midfielder Elle Otto dribbles the ball during a soccer game between Iowa and Kansas City at the University of Iowa Soccer Complex on Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Roos 2-0.

The Iowa soccer team’s 2023 season has begun, and the Hawkeyes are off to a solid start.

Iowa came away with a 1-0 victory against Florida Gulf Coast on Aug. 17 and a 2-0 win in their home opener against Kansas City on Aug. 20, which was delayed due to excessive heat.

Similarly, the Hawkeyes opened play last season with a 4-0 win over Drake University. But they soon fell into a mid-season slump, culminating in a 5-6-7 record overall, 2-3-5 record in the Big Ten, and a missed playoff appearance.

Five Iowa seniors are returning to the squad this year with ample experience and hopes to finish stronger.

Most notable is captain defender Samantha Cary. Cary will continue to fortify Iowa’s firm backline, which has allowed a solid average of one goal per game over the past two seasons.

Cary said she is excited about the team this year and their goal is to get back to the top of the conference standings.

Joining her will be senior goalkeeper Macy Enneking and senior forward Maggie Johnston, who had 12 starts in 14 appearances last season.

Together, the three were voted captains for this upcoming season, which was one of Johnston’s biggest goals coming in as a freshman.

“I think it was reassuring to know that the whole team, the coaching staff, and anybody involved saw me as somebody that could be a captain,” Johnston said.

Junior forwards Elle Otto, Meike Ingles, and Kenzie Roling are poised to be key contributors on offense this year.

Otto recorded three goals and five assists last year and was labeled “one of the hardest working [players]” by head coach Dave DiIanni.

Ingles, despite coming off her redshirt season due to injury, hopes to have the same production she had in 2020 when she won Big Ten Tournament Most Outstanding Offensive Player.

“I think Kenzie Roling is going to score the most goals out of that group,” DiIanni said. “Kenzie is now finally physically fit and healthy. She is the best athlete of the group by far.”

An influx of newcomers — 13 freshmen and three transfers — in the program will support the returning squad. One Hawkeye to keep an eye on for the season will be La Salle transfer forward Kelli McGroarty.

“At the end of the day, she scores goals and she’s dangerous,” DiIanni said of McGroarty. “Ultimately, that’s the most important thing about our game.”

The program will have another year under DiIanni, who is embarking on his tenth year at the helm and has led Iowa to five Big Ten tournament appearances which includes winning the tournament in the 2020 season.

RELATED: Big Ten Soccer Regular Season in Review

DiIanni said the 2023 squad is likely the “deepest team” he has coached since 2019. He added that the Hawkeyes are good defensively, especially with Johnston and Cary returning in the back line, but they can also be lethal on offense and “punch back” when needed.

Some key games to look out for are Iowa’s home matchup against Iowa State on Aug. 24 and its Big Ten opener against Illinois on Sep. 17.

“We will not be a boring team to watch,” Cary said. “We’re going to be fun. We’re going to be energetic in everything we do.”