Rep. Ashley Hinson hospitalized, Tuesday debate canceled

The Iowa congressperson is hospitalized for a kidney infection on Sunday evening.

Matt Sindt

U.S. Rep Ashley Hinson, R-Iowa, speaks during Ashley Hinson’s BBQ Bash at the Linn County Fairgrounds Sunday, August 28, 2022.

Liam Halawith, Politics Reporter

U.S. Rep. Ashley Hinson, R-Iowa, was admitted to UnityPoint St. Luke’s Hospital in Cedar Rapids on Sunday evening for a kidney infection, according to a statement from Hinson’s official Twitter account. As a result, the debate scheduled for Tuesday between Hinson and her Democratic opponent state Sen. Liz Mathis has been canceled. 

Iowa PBS, the debate’s host, shared a press release on Tuesday stating, “Due to unforeseen circumstances regarding candidate availability, the debate for Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District race has been canceled.”

There are no plans to reschedule the debate at this time. According to the press release Iowa PBS  offered several dates to reschedule but none were mutually accepted by Hinson and Mathis’s campaigns.

According to a Tweet from Hinson’s campaign Hinson accepted all alternative dates for the Iowa Press debates.

“Congresswoman Hinson was looking forward to debating tomorrow. Our campaign accepted all of the alternate dates offered by Iowa PBS to reschedule and Ashley is disappointed that the debate will not happen,” Sophie Crowell, Hinson’s campaign manager, said in a statement on Monday.

The hospitalization comes in the thick of Hinson’s campaign. Election Day is Nov. 8, but Iowa’s early voting period begins Wednesday. 

“She is looking forward to being back on the road soon. She appreciates all of the prayers and well wishes,” Jimmy Peacock, Hinson’s Chief of Staff, said in a statement Monday. “She sincerely appreciates everyone who has reached out, and is grateful for the incredible doctors and nurses at St. Luke’s Hospital who have provided phenomenal care. We will continue to provide updates.”

Mathis wished Hinson a speedy recovery in a statement on Monday.

“I was sorry to learn this morning that Rep. Hinson is in the hospital and won’t be able to participate in the debate tomorrow evening,” wrote Mathis in a statement on Monday. “I wish her a speedy recovery from her illness and for her to rejoin the campaign trail as she feels better.”