Mitski’s ‘Laurel Hell’ explores the theme of love in her new style

Mitski released “Laurel Hell,” her first new album since her four-year hiatus, on Feb. 4. Tackling the theme of love in every sense of the word, Mitski expands her creative capabilities.

Indie+pop+phenom+Mitski+makes+her+first+appearance+at+The+Moon+in+early+April.+

USA Today

Indie pop phenom Mitski makes her first appearance at The Moon in early April.

Jami Martin-Trainor, Arts Reporter

When Mitski’s Laurel Hell first came out on Feb. 4, fans had varied reactions. While some were elated to get an album release nearly four years after her last album, Be the Cowboy, came out, others voiced disappointment.

Claiming that the new album was starkly different from any of Mitski’s other work, many fans on various social media platforms commented that it wasn’t “sad enough,” and lacked her usual depth.

Laurel Hell is different from any of Mitski’s other works. That does not make it bad.

The album focuses on one common theme through every song — love. Whether it be toxic or passionate, to another person or the work that she is producing, Mitski takes this concept of love and shows it with nuance in 11 tracks.

In the album’s opener, “Valentine, Texas,” Mitski introduces love to the audience with ambiguity.

“Let’s step carefully into the dark,” sings on the track, “Valentine, Texas.” “Once we’re in, I’ll remember my way around. Who will I be tonight? Who will I become tonight?”

The idea of love is perfectly captured here, depicting the concept of the unknown. Love is not inherently good or bad, but rather has a transformative power that can take on nearly every emotion.

Mitski’s sound has also changed compared to her previous albums, including Bury Me At Makeout Creek and Puberty 2. Rather than her traditional indie-rock genre that Mitski has mastered over the years, Laurel Hell relies on synth-pop, indie pop, and electro-rock to carry her vocals.

RELATED: Lorde emerges from the dark to the sun in new album, ‘Solar Power,’ but should she retreat?

Mitski’s writing ability is not lacking in Laurel Hell. Even though her lyrics are not inherently sad in every song, they can still be absolutely devastating.

“Heat Lightning”, the fifth song on Laurel Hell, speaks of love as a way to share burdens. While this piece has a warmer and more wholesome theme, the lyrics are still written with excellence and pack a great emotional impact.

“Though I’ve held on. Can’t carry it much longer. On the ceiling dancing are the things all come and gone,” Mitski sings in “Heat Lightning.”

The unique description of universal feelings is what Mitski excels at, and that is so clearly seen woven throughout her album. Just because not every piece is filled with melancholy and suffering doesn’t mean that the songs fall flat in regards to emotional vulnerability.

While fans did critique the lack of sadness in Mitski’s work, there are several songs that are absolutely heartbreaking. The song “I Guess” explores the loss of self when losing a loved one, and the lyricism is both poetic and gut-wrenching.

“I guess this is the end,” Mitski sings in “I Guess.” “I’ll have to learn to be somebody else. It’s been you and me since before I was me. Without you, I don’t yet know quite how to live.”

“Working for the Knife” is not a joyous piece either, discussing Mitski’s relationship with herself as an artist. Comparing her motivation to work as the knife, a cold, sharp, and unforgiving object, Mitski questions that relationship and hopes that her view will change.

Even though Mitski’s new album is not similar to her other work, it’s still a great listen. It is all too common for consumers to brush off various pieces of media when they deviate from the status quo, but it’s important to recognize that “new” is not synonymous with “bad”. Laurel Hell certainly proves this to be true.