Opinion | Republicans must keep fighting and unite against Biden-Harris

Since we lost the presidential race, conservatives must listen to One Direction and stand up for what they believe in instead of rolling over until the next presidential election.

Tate Hildyard

Local Republicans socialize while watching the Fox News election coverage at the Joni Ernst Republican watch party at the Des Moins Marriott Downtown on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 . Republicans from across the state have gathered to watch the results of the 2020 General Election.

Ally Pronina, Opinions Columnist

“I’ve got one eye open and one eye still in a dream.”

This quote from The Book Thief  could not be more accurate for conservatives. We lost the election. Instead of panicking, we should use this as a reason to be politically active. 

If you still are going to consider Trump your president, continue standing up for the conservative values he worked so hard towards — such as being pro-life — University of Iowa conservative students can do this by joining the new Student for Life Chapter

University of Iowa College Republicans provides conservative students opportunities to serve on election committees for Republican candidates and make phone calls advocating to vote red. 

Biden said during the debates he has issues with Judge Amy Coney Barett because she wants to reverse Roe vs. Wade. Now that we are going to have a president who won’t stand up for the rights of unborn children, conservatives must stand up instead. 

We see humanity in people society currently does not — such as unborn babies and police officers. Our voices are valuable and needed, regardless of how much society hates us for using them. 

Iowan Republicans can remain politically active by writing letters to Kim Reynolds and Joni Ernst expressing our conservative views. Hopefully, this will help Iowa remain conservative in terms of laws and policies Biden lets the state decide, if there will be any.

If Biden packs the courts, we should peacefully and legally protest. As far as I know, this has never been done. I don’t think the president should have the right to do so. 

Biden said during the debates he wants to shut down the country. This has the potential to exacerbate symptoms of people who are already struggling with mental health right now. As a mental health advocate, I won’t overlook that in my pieces. 

We can not let Biden take away our 2nd amendment right to bear arms. Conservatives must inform society about the dangers and lack of logic behind his gun control plan. Again, we can legally and peacefully protest.

Once the primaries start, we need to pick a candidate who will prevent Biden’s re-election. We also need to keep voting in lower level elections and try to keep Iowa red. 

I’m going to be a good Christian and pray Biden continues helping the groups of people Trump has — such as farmers, cops, and veterans. I doubt he will, but that will not stop me from praying. 

Conservatives can also remain politically active by continuing the support Trump has offered to these people. We can write them all messages of love and find a way to tell society their stories.

Liberals voted Trump out of office, but they have not gotten rid of the Republican party. No matter how much of an intolerant liberal environment we are in, Republicans own it to the president who fought for our freedom of speech to use it. 

Next time you hear something liberal, politely disagree and voice your conservative view. If you’re scared, think about how Trump would want you to. 

To quote a song which came on during my Friday morning workout, “If it all goes wrong-darling just hold on.”