Poor shooting plagues Hawkeye women in loss to Washington

Iowa was unable to dig itself out of an early hole, losing to Washington, 70-63, in Puerto Rico.

Iowa guard Kathleen Doyle defends during a women’s basketball game between Iowa and Princeton at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Wednesday, November 20, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Tigers, 77-75 in overtime.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s basketball couldn’t overcome poor shooting on Saturday at the Puerto Rico Clasico, as the team dropped its matchup with Washington, 70-63.

For a team whose lifeblood depends on the 3-point ball, finishing the game 6-for-28 from deep typically spells a tough offensive day.

“We didn’t pass this test with flying colors,” head coach Lisa Bluder said in a release. “[But] I think we grew, we’re getting better. Our second half was better than our first half, and that’s growth and that’s what we need.”

Iowa found itself in a hole early, scoring only 20 points in the first half on the heels of those woes from behind the arc. Guard Makenzie Meyer couldn’t find her shot, as the 3-point guru ended the day just 2-for-9 from deep.

“We didn’t have good patience when we got behind,” Bluder said. We tried to make it all up in one play, but you need to have patience and chip away at leads.”

Meyer was one of three Hawkeyes to score in double digits, with Kathleen Doyle and Monika Czinano joining her. Part of Iowa’s issues rested with its inability to get its bench in on the offensive action, as Washington’s reserves outscored Iowa’s, 27-9.

The game ends a semi-successful week for the Hawkeyes, who took down Cincinnati and Towson in Puerto Rico. But competition stiffens up this week with a matchup against Clemson, an NCAA Tournament participant in 2019.

“This team’s not going to quit, and I wouldn’t expect otherwise,” Bluder said.