Opinion: The #MeToo Movement is writing its next chapter

It’s no longer dominating the daily headlines, but #MeToo is still alive in the form of books and other comprehensive formats.

Taylor Newby, Columnist

After the headlines settled and the hashtags quieted, the question of what’s next for the #MeToo movement moves forward with its unparalleled, ground-breaking legacy. And the momentum of this movement is nowhere near slowing down.

The movers and the shakers behind the #MeToo movement have traded their hashtags and international headlines for book contracts.

In the wake of allegations slung toward powerhouse men and women in the political, business, entertainment, and surrounding spheres, #TimesUp and #MeToo has left our culture spinning toward deep-seated and overdue change. And the weight of their words and actions isn’t stopping anytime soon.

While constant press releases are no longer being pumped out on the daily, those who have been at the forefront of this culture shift have not slowed down in the slightest. They’ve been digging deeper, sitting with the stories of those they’ve stood beside and those they’ve seen through.

They’ve been putting pen to page with testimony and truth as their beacon of light, and they’ve continued to carry the glory of this shell-shocking culture-shift on their backs. Now, they push forward, sharing more of this movement in a way we have yet to see.

With white flags and flares of hope, these freedom-fighters have reminded us that what we have seen in these last two years is only just the beginning.

Other books that have been born of those who’ve walked with the wake of #MeToo:

Reckoning: The Epic Battle Against Sexual Abuse and Harassment by Linda Hirshman

Good and Mad by Rebecca Traister

Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow

The Education by Brett Kavanaugh by Robin Pogrebin and Kate Kelly

These books relish in the true accounts, interviews, and endless bouts of research that reporters have poured over. Those who have shared their own personal testimonies and those who have served as a platform by stewarding their gift for knack of story for others.

There are authors who share their own story of rebuilding their life from the wreckage and rubble of sexual harassment and assault, and there are authors who have laid down their lives and careers to serve as a platform for those stepping forward into the light.

There are those who have lived the story, those who are committed to telling the story, and those who are determined to see every inch of this movement through.

It’s important to note that while the headlines and hashtags have seemingly silenced, there is still immeasurable work to be done — both on an international scale and a local scale.