Elliot: Trump leads by bigoted example

The president’s racism isn’t unique to him alone, and his unpatriotic behavior is becoming normalized.

TNS

(Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Beau Elliot, Columnist

So, Doc: What’s with the latest eruption from Mount Trump?

Dear So: Not exactly an eruption, we think, but then, we’re not licensed geologists. More like long-standing steaming racism that roils up and spews from the mouth of an aging white male.

In his words: “So interesting to see Progressive Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world …

“Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?”

Telling people (especially people of color) to go back to where they came from is a worn and worn-again trope of those who are certain they’re patriotic down to their last molecule.

Clearly, Trump targeted the Squad of 4 (Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., and Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich. Three of the four are U.S. citizens born in the U.S., and Omar is a naturalized citizen whose family immigrated when she was a young girl. And just as clearly, Trump targeted them out of bigotry and the desire to paint them as the Other.

(Yes, Trump later said he didn’t have a racist bone in his body, which might be true, in the marrow sense of the word. But his lard brain is rife with racism.)

The “love it or leave” mantra of the right wing (careful; don’t tell them they have a mantra) has lived for hundreds of years in the Land of the Free. Telling people (especially people of color) to go back to where they came from is a worn and worn-again trope of those who are certain they’re patriotic down to their last molecule. Where that last molecule might be we’re not going to speculate.

The bigoted attack was not a mere whim on Trump’s part. This is his campaign for re-election: Attack the Other, immigrants, people who look as if they might be immigrants, African Americans, Latinx, and any other people of color who happen to rankle him. Make America White Again is his mantra. (But don’t tell him that; he’ll get confused. Then tweet something vicious and untrue.)

Yo, Doc-ish: Enough of dumping on America. What about the British ambassador getting dumped, and Brexit, and all that?

Dear All That: The British Foreign Service is way above our pay grade. At least that’s what they tell us around the campfire. And campfires never lie.

From what we understand, throughout the British ambassador brouhaha (accent on the last two syllables) is that most governments want their diplomats to report the truth. Preferably unvarnished, because it takes so much work sanding and whatnot to varnish the truth.

And it seemed as though a number of British officials and many in the news media supported the ambassador. Trump threw a temper tantrum, of course, but that’s like reporting that the sun rose in the east.

But the prime minister in waiting, Boris Johnson, declined to support the ambassador, and what occurred after is the old-fashioned ambassador retires.

Johnson will become the next prime minister because of the chaos called Brexit. If the British had handled Dunkirk with the care and planning that they have handled Brexit, probably most of Europe would be speaking German.

Johnson, by most reports, is charismatic and charming, full of guile, and about as intellectually deep as a shortlived puddle.

So naturally, Trump thinks he has found a comrade. (Though Johnson did distance himself from Trump’s racist remarks about the Squad of 4.)

Interestingly, heavily favored Johnson will be selected to lead the UK by members of the Tories, the conservatives.

That “selectorate” represents less than 1 percent of the broader UK electorate of 46 million.

If only we could have a “selectorate” to choose a president. We guess we’ll have to make do with the Electoral College until a real “selectorate” comes along.