Gustafson tapped as ESPNW’s National Player of the Year

Iowa women’s basketball center Megan Gustafson was named ESPNW’s National Player of the Year on Friday.

Katina Zentz

Iowa center Megan Gustafson keeps the ball away from Maryland players during the women’s Big Ten Championship basketball game vs. Maryland at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, March 10, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins 90-76 and are the Big Ten champions.

Pete Mills, Assistant Sports Editor

Iowa women’s basketball senior Megan Gustafson was announced as ESPNW’s National Player of the Year on Friday.

Gustafson was unanimously selected as the first Player of the Year in program history.

It adds to a series of accolades that includes the Big Ten’s Player of the Year and the Big Ten Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. She was named a member of ESPNW’s All-American Team earlier this week.

The senior leads the country in points per game (28.0) and field goal percentage (69.6), and is second in double-doubles (30). Gustafson is also a semifinalist for this year’s Naismith Trophy which will be announced in April.

She led Iowa to a Big Ten title game in a win over Maryland on Sunday, where the senior put up 45 points and 10 rebounds.

The No. 8 Hawkeyes will find out seeding for the upcoming NCAA Tournament on March 18 on the Selection Show on ESPN.