Gustafson tapped as ESPNW’s National Player of the Year

Iowa women's basketball center Megan Gustafson was named ESPNW's National Player of the Year on Friday.

Iowa center Megan Gustafson keeps the ball away from Maryland players during the women's Big Ten Championship basketball game vs. Maryland at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, March 10, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins 90-76 and are the Big Ten champions.

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Katina Zentz

Pete Mills, Assistant Sports Editor

Iowa women’s basketball senior Megan Gustafson was announced as ESPNW’s National Player of the Year on Friday.

Gustafson was unanimously selected as the first Player of the Year in program history.

It adds to a series of accolades that includes the Big Ten’s Player of the Year and the Big Ten Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player. She was named a member of ESPNW’s All-American Team earlier this week.

The senior leads the country in points per game (28.0) and field goal percentage (69.6), and is second in double-doubles (30). Gustafson is also a semifinalist for this year’s Naismith Trophy which will be announced in April.

She led Iowa to a Big Ten title game in a win over Maryland on Sunday, where the senior put up 45 points and 10 rebounds.

The No. 8 Hawkeyes will find out seeding for the upcoming NCAA Tournament on March 18 on the Selection Show on ESPN.

• Gustafson tapped as ESPNW’s National Player of the Year

Wieskamp withdraws name from NBA Draft, returns for sophomore season

Billy Taylor set to join Iowa basketball coaching staff

Hawkeye basketball’s Bohannon to miss time with hip surgery

Iowa volleyball’s Shymansky placed on administrative leave

From Iowa City to Westeros: University of Iowa alum behind ‘Game of Thrones’ series

Baseball

Iowa baseball swept by Maryland

• Latest News

Photos: 2020 candidate Pete Buttigieg swings through Iowa City

In Iowa City campaign stop, Buttigieg says ‘we’ve got to win’ to decide America’s long-term future

Stewart signs pro contract in Australia

Epenesa earns spot on Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List