Iowa basketball’s Cordell Pemsl to have season-ending surgery

The junior forward from Dubuque will have surgery to remove hardware from a previous surgery in high school.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa forward Cordell Pemsl looks to pass during Iowa’s game against UMKC at Carver Hawkeye Arena on November 8, 2018. The Hawkeye defeated the Kangaroos 77-63.

Adam Hensley, Pregame Editor

Iowa forward Cordell Pemsl will miss the remainder of the 2018-19 season thanks to surgery. His procedure is to remove hardware from a previous surgery, one that he had in high school, according to a release.

“It was hoped this procedure could wait until the end of the season, but is now determined the hardware removal is necessary before he will be able to return to the court,” Hawkeye head coach Fran McCaffery said in a release. “Cordell really worked hard preparing for his junior season and this is an unfortunate setback. We will submit a medical hardship waiver request to the Big Ten Conference after the season.”

Pemsl, a junior from Dubuque, played in 32 games last season. He averaged 5.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists  while shooting 56.5 percent from the floor.

“I have been attempting to play through some chronic irritation caused by the hardware during preseason practice, but after consulting with our training staff it is determined that the best course of action is to correct the problem before returning to the court,” Pemsl said in a release. “Although I am disappointed that I will be unable to help the team on the court this season, I am confident in my teammates and will do everything I can to be a good teammate from the sidelines.”

This season, Pemsl has appeared in just one game. In his lone appearance, he recorded 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 personal fouls, and 2 turnovers in his 14 minutes of action.

The Hawkeyes host Pittsburgh Tuesday for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Tip of is set for 8:05 p.m. in Carver.