Editorial: The Daily Iowan endorses Dave Loebsack for U.S. House of Representatives

In the race for Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District, The Daily Iowan Editorial Board endorses 12-year Democratic incumbent Dave Loebsack over Republican candidate Christopher Peters.

Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, speaks during the Johnson County Democratic Party Fall Barbecue at the Johnson County Fairgrounds on Sunday Oct. 14, 2018.

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Nick Rohlman

Growing up in Sioux City, Loebsack was raised by a single mother who often relied on food stamps. He says his background is part of what motivates his politics.

“I fight for the middle class and opportunity for everybody,” he said.

This is evident in Loebsack’s legislative priorities, such as ensuring that the Pell Grant stays year-round for lower-income college students. Signed into law in 2008, the provision was eliminated in 2011 because of budget cuts, then reinstated in 2017.

RELATED: Christopher Peters highlights reducing regulation in second bid for Congress

If re-elected, Loebsack hopes to continue expanding rural broadband access, which he pushes for as a member of the Energy and Commerce Committee. He introduced the Rural Wireless Access Act, which was signed into law earlier in 2018. It seeks to improve wireless coverage and mobile internet services in rural Iowa. 

A proud parent of two Marine children, he prioritizes veterans’ mental-health-care access. He has cosponsored a bill that would require the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide in-patient psychiatric care at the request of a VA-enrolled veteran. The bill is in response to the 2016 suicide of Sgt. Brandon Ketchum, who was turned away from the psychiatric unit at the Iowa City VA Medical Center.

RELATED: Rep. Dave Loebsack looks to address rural broadband access, veterans’ mental health care

The Daily Iowan Editorial Board believes that not only Loebsack’s years of legislative experience but also his commitment to ongoing issues makes him the best candidate to represent Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District.

RELATED: 2018 Voter Guide

• Editorial: The Daily Iowan endorses Dave Loebsack for U.S. House of Representatives

Editorial

Editorial: The Daily Iowan and Iowa State Daily endorse Fred Hubbell for Iowa governor

Editorial

Editorial: The Daily Iowan endorses Zach Wahls for Iowa Senate

Editorial

Editorial: The Daily Iowan endorses Joe Bolkcom for Iowa Senate

Editorial

Editorial: Students must vote

Editorial

Editorial: DI endorses Bruce Teague in City Council election

Editorial

Editorial: DI endorses Janice Weiner for Iowa’s 37th District

Editorial

Editorial: DI endorses Empower Iowa for student government

Editorial

Editorial: After yet another school shooting, Congress must act against gun violence

Editorial

Editorial: Iowa must reinvest in higher education

Editorial

Editorial: UI right to remove Wynn’s name, should keep funding for blindness research