Editorial: The Daily Iowan endorses Joe Bolkcom for Iowa Senate

On Nov. 6, members of the 43rd District will vote to decide who will represent them in the Iowa Senate. The Daily Iowan endorses Democratic candidate Joe Bolkcom.

Lily Smith

Iowa state Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, poses for a portrait in the IMU on Oct. 9, 2018.

On Nov. 6, voters in the 43 District of Iowa will choose between Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, and Republican candidate Patrick Wronkiewicz to represent them in the Iowa Senate. The Daily Iowan was able to interview both candidates and endorses Democratic candidate Bolkcom.

RELATED: Patrick Wronkiewicz aims to cut college costs, expand medical marijuana

He began his tenure in the state Senate in 2003 and served as the majority whip from 2013 to 2017. He is currently a ranking member of the Appropriations Committee. Bolkcom said his top three issues are public education, climate, and health care. He supports increasing government spending on K-12 public schools, public universities, and community colleges.  

“Public education is really the key of opportunity for millions of Iowans. It’s why we’re a prosperous state today — because we’ve invested in public education,” Bolkcom said.

RELATED: Education, climate, health care top Sen. Joe Bolkcom’s list as he seeks reelection

He also supports bringing Iowa’s Medicaid system back under state control and believes that medical-marijuana laws should be expanded. “It’s an issue I’ve worked on for the last four years, and I hope to go back in January and work on fixing that program, making it possible for thousands of Iowans who suffer from debilitating conditions to get the medicine they need,” he said.

RELATED: 2018 Voter Guide 

Bolkcom’s extensive prior work in the state Senate and platform ideas make him the best candidate to serve the constituents of the 43rd District.