Nadler: The Supreme Court seems a bit less supreme now

Partisanship set aside, Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination lowers the honorable status of the Supreme Court.

TNS

Brett Kavanaugh, associate justice of the Supreme Court, speaks during a ceremonial swearing-in event in the East Room of the White House in Washington, D.C., on Monday, Oct. 8, 2018. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Zohar Nadler, Opinion Columnist

As a college student who aspires to pursue a career in law, I have always been intrigued by the Supreme Court of the United States. In my eyes, Supreme Court justices were the best of the best. They are at “the top” of the legal world.

That being said, my thoughts have slightly shifted in the last couple of weeks, with the recent Supreme Court confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh, an American lawyer and jurist. Because of Kavanaugh’s angry composure, dishonesty, and immoral actions, I can’t help but feel that the Supreme Court seems a little less supreme now.

RELATED: UI students react to Brett Kavanaugh confirmation

Kavanaugh may be credible for the job on paper, but this means absolutely nothing when he has sexual-assault allegations, supposedly lied under oath, and avoided answering important questions from numerous senators at his hearing about the sexual-abuse allegations.

A Supreme Court justice should be honorable, intelligent, and honest. How can I look up to the Supreme Court of my country while Kavanaugh has been accused of sexual assault? How can I honor a Supreme Court justice who avoids important questions? How do I trust that Kavanaugh has the best interest of my country in mind? These are all lingering questions that have accumulated in my head as I let the reality of his confirmation sink in.

RELATED: Iowa law professors voice opposition to Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation

I do not see the traits of a good judge in Kavanaugh. When I think of an exemplary Supreme Court justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg comes to mind. Unlike Kavanaugh, Ginsburg has a thirst for justice in gender equality — something that sets her apart from other Supreme Court justices.

In regard to Kavanaugh, what sets him apart from other justices is that he is permanently labeled as the “Supreme Court justice who denied sexual-assault allegations.” 

Unlike Kavanaugh, Ginsburg portrays key traits that a justice should have. According to research, a good justice will exhibit patience, common sense, compassion, and humility. In addition, a good judge will always act ethically. Kavanaugh didn’t portray any of these traits as he was questioned about assaulting a woman and getting belligerently drunk. As I watched his hearing, I looked for an ethical judge who acted honestly and appeared calm and collected. With Kavanaugh, I didn’t see that.

Instead, Kavanaugh tried to be manipulative with Sen. Amy Klobuchar when she asked if Kavanaugh had ever gotten so drunk that he could not remember anything. Kavanaugh’s response was, “Well, have you”? Kavanaugh, who was most likely dishonest, never fully answered her question — perhaps because he has been so drunk before that he could not remember anything.

I will always question why Kavanaugh was appointed to the Supreme Court of our country. How could these sexual-assault allegations be brushed off to the side? Kavanaugh does not define the Supreme Court for its honor. He is untrustworthy, immoral, and lost in his denial of his past actions. To have a man such as Kavanaugh make ultimate decisions for the judicial branch leaves me highly skeptical of the Supreme Court and its “supremacy.”