Finkenauer wins Democratic nomination to vie against U.S. Rep. Rod Blum

Abby Finkenaur clinches the Democratic nomination to run against incumbent Rep. Rod Blum to represent Iowa’s 1st Congressional District, the northeast area of the state.

The dome of the U.S. Capitol building is seen on March 13, 2018. (Gage Miskimen/The Daily Iowan)

Abby Finkenauer clinched the Democratic nomination for a U.S. representative seat on June 5.

She’ll run against incumbent Rep. Rod Blum in Iowa’s 1st District, which comprises nearly 600,000 people and includes Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, and Waterloo.

At the time of publication, Finkenauer led with 62.48 percent and 18,295 votes with seven of 20 precincts reporting.

The Finkenauer campaign released a statement an hour after polls closed that announced her win.

“I am truly humbled by this victory, and I want to say thank you to the people of eastern Iowa who have put their faith in us to fight for this seat in November,” Finkenauer said in a statement.

Thomas Heckroth followed Finkenauer at 22.12 percent, 6,513 votes.

Finkenauer received endorsements from national figures such as former Vice President Joe Biden and Emily’s List, a national organization that works to elect Democratic women.

A rural Dubuque County native, Finkenauer was elected to represent Dubuque in the Iowa Legislature in 2014.

Other Democratic candidates were George Ramsey and Courtney L. Rowe, who received 7.15 percent and 8.14 percent, respectively.

Sarah Watson, Politics Editor

Twitter: @K_5mydearwatson

Sarah Watson is the current Politics Editor at the DI, coordinating breaking news and in-depth coverage of Iowa politics. She reported on UI Student Government and Iowa politics as a reporter her freshman year.