Track and field fills history books

Nick Rohlman
Iowa’s Aly Weum competes in the Women’s 4×400 meter relay during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2017. (Nick Rohlman/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa track and field team was all over the country for its second weekend of the outdoor season. Multi-event athletes traveled to Texas for the 91st Littlefield Texas Relays, distance runners west for the Stanford Invitational, and the rest of the team competed in the Pepsi Florida Relays.

The highlight of the weekend for the Hawkeyes was the relay teams’ performances in Florida. The women’s 4×200 meter relay team set the school’s record with a time of 1:35.11, finishing fifth in the event.

The women’s 4×100 relay team finished seventh with a time of 44.44 seconds, good for fourth all-time at Iowa.

The men’s 4×200 relay team finished 10th with a time of 1:25.87, the seventh-fastest time in school history. The 4×400 relay team also moved into seventh place in school history with a runner-up mark of 3:04.38.

In the sprint medley relays, the women placed sixth with a time of 4:00.57. The men finished seventh in the event with a time of 3:26.84. In the distance medley relays, the teams both placed 10th, with the men running a time of 10:12.53 and the women 12:03.04.

Chris Douglas finished third in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 51.44 seconds, a personal best for Douglas.

RELATED: Track and field with a hot start in Arizona

In the field, Reno Tuufuli and Laulauga Tausaga both finished second in the discus, throwing marks of 59.03 meters and 57.33 meters, respectively.

Aubrianna Lantrip tied for second in the high jump by clearing 1.7 meters.

Jahisha Thomas, who won the triple jump and the long jump at the Big Ten Indoor Championships, placed third in the triple jump with a mark of 13.04 meters.

At the Stanford Invitational, Nathan Mylenek set a personal best time in the 3,000 meters, 8:48.66. That time is second in school history.

Andrea Shine ran her personal best in the 10,000 meters with a time of 33:50.25, sixth in school history.

Tysen Vandraska ran a time of 1:49.65 in the 800 meters, which puts him eight all-time at Iowa. He placed 18th overall in the event. Mallory King posted a mark of 2:08.76 in the 800 meters, which is ninth all-time at Iowa. King’s time was a personal best, beating her former best time by 6 seconds.

Matt Manternach’s time of 1:49.80 in the 800 meters is ninth all-time at Iowa, right behind Vandraska. He finished 22nd overall.

Kevin Docherty also moved into ninth all-time at Iowa with a time of 3:47.98 in the 1,500 meters.

In Texas, Will Dougherty and Jenny Kimbro achieved top-ten finishes. Dougherty finished ninth in the decathlon by earning 7,222 points. Kimbro finished eighth in the heptathlon with 5,164 points.

Tria Simmons placed 13th in the heptathlon with 5,082 points.

The Hawkeyes will be reunited for their next competition. The team will travel to LSU for the Battle on the Bayou on Saturday.