Hawkeyes have hot start to outdoor season

The Hawkeyes took home multiple titles in their first outdoor meet of the season.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
A fan takes a photo of Iowa seniors on the front straightaway during the 18th annual Musco Twilight at Francis X. Cretzmeyer Track on Saturday, April 22, 2017. Iowa’s men and women’s track and field finished first overall in the Musco Twilight with a 237.5 and 203 respectively. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Willie Williams Invitational at Arizona on March 16 and March 17 marked the beginning of the outdoor season for the Iowa track and field team. Both new and old faces propelled the Hawkeyes to an encouraging start.

Representing the usual suspects was senior Brittany Brown, who came straight off of the NCAA Indoor Championships last weekend to win both the 100 and 200 meters. Her time of 22.83 seconds in the 200 was a facility record.

“This was a good start for her, just for her own mindset,” Iowa director of track and field Joey Woody told Hawkeye Sports. “She had high goals at NCAAs and didn’t accomplish what she was trying to do, so just proving to herself that she is in good form.”

Brown has been a top performer for Iowa for the past couple of years. Laulauga Tausaga, who won the women’s shot put with a throw of 15.17 meters, lit up the indoor season and was an All-American in 2017. The same goes for Reno Tuufuli, who won the men’s discus with a throw of 58.95 meters.

What made the Willie Williams Invitational especially intriguing for the Hawkeyes, however, were the athletes who emerged as top competitors in the outdoor season.

Antonio Woodard took home the gold in the 200 meters. The sophomore from Rancho Cucamonga, California placed sixth in the Big Ten Indoor Championships in the event. Woodward set a personal best at the invitational with a time of 20.61 seconds. That was his third consecutive personal best time in the 200 dating back to the indoor season. He now ranks sixth all-time at Iowa in the event.

“This was the hope for Antonio,” Woody told Hawkeye Sports. “I’ve always known he has had the ability to be a mid-to-low 20 guy. I think he had a lot more to show.”

Woodard also participated in the 4×100 relay team that took first place at the invitational. That team also included Mar’yea Harris, Tyree Sorrells, and O’Shea Wilson. They were the only team at the meet to break 40 seconds, finishing with a mark of 39.69.

Although Leah Colbert is a senior who has had a successful career, her performance in the hammer throw was her best performance of the year. Her personal best of 56.78 meters was good for first place at the event.

Sophomore Jenny Kimbro was a finalist in the 60-meter hurdles at the Big Ten Indoor Championships, but her 100-meter hurdles victory in Arizona was her first in the event. Kimbro finished in 13.82 seconds.

Andy Jatis tied for first in the pole vault, clearing 4.9 meters. He ranks third all-time at Iowa in the event after a 5.05-meter performance at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational, but couldn’t capture first this time around.

Tria Simmons won the long jump with a leap of 5.87 meters. The mark was a personal best and entered her into the top-10 all-time at Iowa.