PCP: Who will win the NCAA Tournament?

PCP: Who will win the NCAA Tournament?

Villanova Wildcats guard Jalen Brunson (1) shoots a three against Iowa Hawkeyes guard Christian Williams (11) in the Barclays Center on Sunday, March 20, 2016 in Brooklyn, New York. Brunson ended the game with 3 rebounds, 12 points, and 4 assists. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 87-68. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Last Last year, we did a similar PCP in which we predicted an NCAA champion when the Final Four rolled around. I chose North Carolina and won.

So it’s time for me to defend my title. After all the madness that has already taken place, Villanova is going to win a national title this year.

The only teams that could come close to challenging the Wildcats are Kansas, Duke, and Purdue. But all of those things have something in common: They have been plagued by inconsistency throughout the season.

Kansas is not as good as Kansas usually is. Although I don’t see it happening, Duke could somehow blow its chance and lose to Syracuse, just as the Blue Devils did against Lehigh and Mercer in the past. Purdue is certainly capable of playing some great basketball, evidenced by the 19-game winning streak it went on earlier this season, but the Boilermakers can also lose their magic just as fast; they went on a three-game skid right after the big streak.

Villanova currently has six players averaging in double figures, so they can spread the ball around, and each one can get the job done on any given night. None of those three teams can say the same.

Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges are too talented on the offensive end to lose in this tournament.

Sure the Wildcats have lost some games against some questionable opponents at times, but when it’s all said and done, Jay Wright is going to have another ring on his finger.

Duke

By Anna Kayser

As long as Grayson Allen stops tripping over his ego (no pun intended … OK, maybe a little), the Blue Devils could have a shot at a national title very soon.

I’ll be honest — in my mind, there’s no way they get past Villanova to get into the finals in the first place. However, a 16 seed beat the 1 seed in the South, so anything is possible.

Into the logistics. Entering the tournament, Duke was the only team with top-10 rankings in both offense and defense, by Ken Pomeroy. That top-10 ranking is started by the first five guys on the floor each night. Allen, the only senior on the roster, is accompanied by four freshmen at tip-off. There are only three upperclassmen on the team, total.

Duke is a young team, with inexperience — especially on college basketball’s biggest stage — and that could prove to be the difference, even under the direction of a thousand-plus-game-winning coach.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Pete Ruden is the Sports Editor at the DI, where he has worked since the beginning of his college career. He has covered a variety of sports at the DI,...

• PCP: Who will win the NCAA Tournament?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Is it still enjoyable to listen to the song ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Should people make an effort to shop locally?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Pancheros or Chipotle?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Apple Music or Spotify?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Is it OK to participate in Black Friday sales?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Do we still need Daylight Saving Time?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: When should Christmas celebrations begin?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Are Apple’s innovations best for consumers?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Should people paint their Bibles?

Opinions

Point-counterpoint: Is candy corn delicious?