Iowa finishes in 11th at Bigs

The Iowa women\’s swimming team finished in 11th place at the Big Ten Championships.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie
Swimmers dive into the pool for the Womens 50 yard backstroke during a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa women’s swimming team concluded action at the Big Ten Championships on Sunday. The Hawkeyes started out in eighth place after the first day but ended up finishing in 11th place.

Iowa’s 400-meter freestyle was the bright spot of its last day in Columbus. Freshman Sarah Schemmel, sophomores Hannah Burvill and Allysa Fluit, and senior Carly O’Brien finished with a time of 3:20.77 which was good for a 10th-place finish. It was the fourth-fastest time in school history.

Sophomore Thelma Strandberg had the best individual performance for Iowa in the diving department. She placed 19th with a score of 248.80 points.

Burvill finished 20th in the 100 fly with a time of 49.72 seconds and swam a 49.58 in the prelims. Senior Shea Hoyt also tallied a 20th place finish in the 200 breast in 2:13.55. Freshman Kelsey Drake finished in 22nd in the 200 fly with a time of 2:00.20. Senior Meghan Lavell placed 24th in the 200 back in 1:59.96 and swam a time of 1:57.22 in the prelims.

On Feb. 17, the third day of Big Ten competition, Lavelle grabbed a school record in the 100-yard backstroke which was the highlight of the day. Lavelle finished in 16th place and posted a time of 53.36, beating the previous record she had tied earlier in her career.

The quartet of Burvill, Lavelle, Mekenna Scheitlin, Schemmel finished with a time of 1:31.18 – the second-best in school history.