Swimmers set two records at Big Tens

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Katie
Swimmers dive into the pool for the Womens 50 yard backstroke during a swim meet between University of Iowa and Western Illinois on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018 at the University Aquatic Center. Swimmers competed in a variety of events including relays and freestyle swimming. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

The Hawkeyes are in seventh place after day one of the Big Ten Championships.

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team set two school records on the first night of the 2018 Big Ten Championships at the McCorkle Aquatics Center in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday.

Sophomore Hannah Burvill surpassed Becky Stoughton’s record in the 800-freestyle relay posting a time of 1:44.42, beating Stoughton’s mark of 1:45.47.

Michigan won the event with a finals time of 6:56.28 after having a seed time of 6:55.43.

Sophomore Allyssa Fluit and seniors Meghan Lavelle and Carly O’Brien finished with a time of 7:08.06, beating the previous record of 7:12.49 that was set in 2014. The relay finished eighth.

Seniors Jo Jekel, Shea Hoyt, Mekenna Scheitlin, and sophomore Meghan Hackett swam a season-best time to finish in eighth place in the 200-medley relay. They finished with a time of 1:39.26, which is the third fastest in program history.

Indiana took first in the event with a finals time of 1:34.16 after having a seed time of 1:34.58. The relay also included Olympic gold medalist Lilly King.

The Hawkeyes are in seventh place after the first day with 88 points. Indiana leads with 118 points, Minnesota is in second with 112, and Wisconsin and Ohio State are tied for third with 104 points.