Hawkeye tracksters have some of the best performances in Big Ten

The biggest meets of the season are yet to come for the Iowa tracksters, but the Hawkeyes have fashioned some of the best performances in the conference.
Iowas+MarYea+Harris+crosses+the+finish+line+during+the+4x400+meter+relay+during+the+Larry+Wieczorek+Invitational+on+Saturday%2C+Jan.+20%2C+2017.+Harris+anchored+the+Hawkeyes+relay+team+to+a+victory+with+a+45.599+split.+
Nick Rohlman
Iowa’s Mar’Yea Harris crosses the finish line during the 4×400 meter relay during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2017. Harris anchored the Hawkeyes relay team to a victory with a 45.599 split.

The Iowa track and field team is past the halfway mark of the indoor season. After their first road trip, many Hawkeye athletes have posted top rankings in the Big Ten.

Both the men and the women have enjoyed strong starts. Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody has been vocal about the teams’ goals this year — win the Big Ten and be a nationally relevant team.

Athletes such as Mar’yea Harris, Brianna Guillory, and Laulauga Tausaga have been dominant thus far, making Woody’s goal — and the teams’ — more tangible.

“I think this is the best start we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Harris said. “We have a lot of people in the national rankings and a lot of people who have set personal records.”

At Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational, Harris continued to contribute to the team’s success. He ran his fastest time in the 400 this season, 45.95, also the fastest time in the Big Ten this season.

“Individually, I want to win the Big Tens and make my first national final,” Harris said. “I’ve gotten second twice, so that hurts a lot.”

Harris’ time also ranks third in Division 1.

Brianna Guillory won the 200 with a time of 23.26 at the Sevigne Invitational in Nebrasksa, which is also the best in the Big Ten this season. Guillory’s personal goal, however, is in the 400, which she also won with a time of 52.57, a personal best.

“For me, I would just like to break the record in the 400 meters here,” she said.

She is third in school history in the 400, behind teammate Brittany Brown in the 200 meters at Iowa.

Laulauga Tausaga set school records in her last three indoor meets. In the Wieczorek Invitational, she set the shot-put record; in the Black and Gold Premier, she beat her own school record in the shot put; at the Meyo Invitational, Tausaga set a weight-throw record at 19.91 meters.

“She is a phenomenal athlete,” Woody told Hawkeye Sports. “She can throw a lot of different events, and it’s a tribute to her athleticism.”

Dan Soto finished fourth at the Meyo Invitational in the 5K at 14:25.42, third in the Big Ten.

Chris Douglas is tied for first in the Big Ten in the 60-meter hurdles, which he ran at the Black and Gold Premier.

The Iowa men are first in the Big Ten in 4×400-meter relay, which they ran in 3:07.54 at the Wieczorek Invitational.

“I think we can run 3:03 indoor and break 3 minutes outdoor,” Woody said. “We’ve got that type of talent.”

For the Hawkeyes to compete for a Big Ten championship, they’ll need to draw points from more than just the stars. A comprehensive effort is imperative to win and to be relevant nationally, Woody’s goal for this year’s squad.

“As a team, I want to win Big Tens,” Harris said. “We’ve been so close every time, and then we just get like seventh or fifth. It’s frustrating. I think this year, we can do it.”