Track and field’s weekend full of personal records

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Paxto
Laulaga Tausaga shoulders the shotput during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational meet in Iowa City, Iowa; Saturday January 20, 2018. Laulaga finished fifth overall in the meet. (Paxton Corey/The Daily Iowan)

The Iowa track and field team went opposite directions this past weekend, with some competitors journeying west to compete in Nebraska’s Frank Sevigne Invitational and other heading east for Notre Dame’s Meyo Invitational.

The Hawkeyes continued their successful indoor season, with athletes at both meets setting personal records on Feb. 2 and 3.

On Feb. 2, sophomore Laulauga Tausaga continued her run as one of the Big Ten’s top throwers. She has set school records for the shot put at the team’s last two meets, the Larry Wieczorek Invitational and the Black and Gold Premier. At the Meyo Invitational, she broke the Iowa weight-throw record, with a toss of 19.93 meters.

“She is a phenomenal athlete,” Director of Track and Field Joey Woody told Hawkeye Sports. “She can throw a lot of different events and it’s a tribute to her athleticism and ability to pick things up quickly and absorb coach [Eric] Werskey’s coaching.”

Nia Britt also set a personal record in the shot put, 15.81 meters. Had it not been for Tausaga’s monster throws the past month, Britt’s mark would have been good for best all-time at Iowa.

“I am very pleased with my throw and was actually really shocked,” she told Hawkeye Sports. “I haven’t ‘PR’d’ like that since high school. I see [Lagi’s] throws, and it motivates me to throw far.”

On the men’s side, Reno Tuufuli won the shot put at the Meyo Invitational with a mark of 18.48 meters.

Mar’Yea Harris ran the 400 meters in 45.95 seconds, first in the Big Ten and third in the nation. Harris ran the event in 46.50 seconds two weeks ago at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational.

“I saw a little bit faster, but I am not upset with what I ran,” Harris told Hawkeye Sports. “I think there is a lot more in the tank, and it’s going to be a good season.”

Chris Thompson ran the 400 in 47.32 seconds, eighth all-time at Iowa.

For the women, Brianna Guillory set a personal record with a 400 mark of 52.57 seconds. Sommer Sharpe, Sheridan Champe, and Sarah Plock also enjoyed personal-record times: 55.69 seconds, 55.52 seconds, and 55.88 seconds, respectively.

Harris also won the 600, posting a 1:17.26, third all-time at Iowa. Matt Manternach recorded a personal best at 1:19.64 and placed third in the event.

Briana Guillory ran the 200 in 23.26 seconds at the Sevigne Invitational. That time leads the Big Ten, and it ranks 10th in the nation and second in school history behind senior teammate Brittany Brown.

Talia Buss and Tashee Hargrave also had good days in the 200, setting personal bests of 24.74 seconds and 25.24 seconds.