Witnesses begin to testify in Lamar Wilson trial

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Lamar Wilson of Iowa City leaves the court room during a case management hearing for State of Iowa v. Lamar Wilson in the Johnson County courthouse on Friday, Oct. 27, 2017. Wilson’s lawyers asked the judge to dismiss charges against him using Iowa’s “stand your ground” law. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

Cross examination on the third day of Lamar Wilson’s first-degree murder trial in Des Moines Monday included testimony from Donte R. Taylor, another man who was arrested following the events of last summer’s Pedestrian Mall shooting.

In his testimony, published in The Des Moines Register, Taylor stated he pulled his gun out before shooting began on the Ped Mall but said he didn’t point the gun at anyone nor did he fire any shots. Taylor pulled the gun out once Wilson started yelling at him and the group he was with about a Facebook post, which sparked the incident.

Taylor will face his own trial May 8 on several weapon charges; he has pleaded not guilty. Previous felony charges restrict Taylor from possessing a gun.

Another member of Taylor’s group, Maxwell Woods, gave his testimony on Monday, published in The Register. Woods, who has a permit to carry firearms, said he fired two shots from his gun while running through a walkway next to the Sheraton Hotel after Wilson began shooting to scare Wilson away.

Wilson also had a permit to carry firearms at the time of his arrest.

Woods declined to give a statement to the Iowa City Police on Aug. 27, 2017, the time of the shooting, and was released. Officers did not know he had fired his gun that night.

Testimony is expected to last the rest of the week in Polk County and Wilson’s trial is expected to wrap up in the next few weeks. He faces several charges in addition to first-degree murder.

-Gage Miskimen