Trackers set personal bests in Intrasquad meet

Iowa didn’t race against any outside talent, but during its intrasquad meet, track and field athletes set some personal bests.
Iowa sophomore Mar’yea Harris, front, and Charles Guier compete during the men’s 600 meter during the Border Battle indoor track meet in the UI Recreation Building with Iowa, Missouri and Illinois competing on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017. The Hawkeye women defeated Missouri and Illinois, 105-33 and 96-51 respectively, while the men defeated Missouri, 107-27 and fell to Illinois, 85-74. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Recreation Center had an exciting energy on Dec. 9 as members of the Iowa track and field team raced against each other in the Black and Gold Intrasquad Meet.

Although the times don’t count officially, a slew of personal records were set at the friendly event.

The meet consisted of 11 competitions: pole vault, long jump, high jump, shot put, 60-meter hurdles, 60 meters, 600 meters, 1,000 meters, 300 meters, mile, and 4×400-meter relay.

The hurdles kicked off first, with junior Chris Douglas claiming the best time for the men at 7.86 seconds, just shy of his personal best of 7.82 and a great start to the season.

On the women’s side, sophomore Jenny Kimbro matched a personal best at 8.45 seconds.

In the 60 meters, junior Taylor Chapman won with two-consecutive postings of 7.62 seconds.

Senior O’Shea Wilson took home the final for the men’s 60 meters with a time of 6.87 seconds.

In the longer runs, Taylor Arco set a career best by five seconds at 1:35.90 in the women’s 600 meters, but she fell to Brianna Guillory in the final, who ran a 1:30.01.

In the women’s 1,000 meters, Tia Saunders shattered her previous personal best by nine seconds, running a 2:55.88. On the men’s side, Tysen Vandraska set a personal record in the 1,000 meters with a time of 2:24.57.

Senior Sheridan Champe set a personal best of 7.61 seconds in the 60 meters in the qualifier and then later ran the 300 meters with a time of 38.66 seconds.

All-American Mar’yea Harris set a men’s intrasquad record in the 300 meters at 32.96 seconds.

Freshman Tyree Sorrells ran an impressive 6.87 seconds in the men’s 60 meters qualifier and took home the long jump with a mark of 6.74 meters.

The team’s first official competition of the indoor season will be the Hawkeye Invitational on Jan. 13th.