High-school Cyclones and Hawks battle it out

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
City High head coach Dan Sabers talks to players during a 4A varsity football practice on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017. The Little Hawks are headed to Ames on Sept. 8 to take on the Little Cyclones to compete for the Little Cy-Hawk trophy. City High will take on Ames High for the 5th year in a row, the night before the Hawkeyes take on Iowa State. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

While all eyes will be on the Cy-Hawk game Saturday morning, there’s a tune-up contest down the street tonight.

The Little Hawks from City High (1-1) will travel to Ames to match up with the Little Cyclones of Ames (1-1) in the fourth-annual Little Cy-Hawk game.

“I like it,” City High head coach Dan Sabers said. “When Ames called us three to four years ago saying, ‘Oh yeah, we have a plan’; hey, I love that. It’s turned out well. Our kids have loved it. Last year, we had ESPN or Big Ten Network showed some of the highlights of the game in the midst of the college game, so yeah, I think we’re hyped-up about it. A little trophy, that’s always fun, too.”

Ames holds a 2-1 advantage in the series after last year’s upset win; it took down then-No. 6 City High 30-27 on a last-second field goal in Iowa City.

“That was frustrating,” City High quarterback Bryce Hunger said. “Some of the seniors who played in that game have that motivation to beat them.”

RELATED: Embracing the the Iowa-Iowa State culture

City High is coming off a 35-0 home loss at the hands of Pleasant Valley last week after a 26-13 win over Linn-Mar in the first week.

Players and coaches understand it’s a big game, and it’s critical to put last week’s loss in the past.

“First, we had to put the loss behind us,” City High wide receiver Zach Jones said. “And now, we know we have a big game; we know it could be blown up to something so much more with the Iowa State and Iowa and that competition. It’s a trophy game, so everyone is amped up for it.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. today, and the players are excited about playing on the big stage.

“It’s great,” Hunger said. “It’s really fun. Last year, we did a couple more things to make it fun, to make the rivalry a little bigger. And they did the same thing the first year, so it’s exciting.”

Event Info

Where:

Ames High

When:

7 p.m. today

What’s at stake:

Little Cy-Hawk Trophy, sponsored by Hy-Vee

Last year:

Ames 30, City High 27