Big Ten coaches for first teleconference of season

The Big Ten held its weekly teleconference on Tuesday with Illinois’ Lovie Smith, Penn State’s James Franklin, and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh.
The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Illinois head coach Lovie Smith speaks during the Big Ten Media Days at McCormick Place Convention Center in Chicago on Monday, July 24, 2017. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)

The opening weekend for the bulk of Big Ten football will begin Sept. 2. A new season marks the ascension of higher hopes and closes the window on disappointments from the prior year. This narrative does not weigh heavier than with Illinois and leader Lovie Smith.

During the Big Ten teleconference on Aug. 29, Smith rehashed his first season as a college coach.

“We are very excited for Year 2,” Smith said. “Of course things didn’t turn out exactly how we wanted them to last year.”

He was referring to the 3-9 record that Illinois tacked up in 2016. Smith went on to contribute this disappointing year to the players not being accustomed to his pro-style system quite yet. In his opinion, however, in Year 2, this problem has been solved.

“Our players have bought in fully, and we just need to be consistently good every day,” Smith said.

If the former Bear and Buccaneer head coach is looking to rebuild his legacy as a great leader, it might be an uphill battle, one that will begin against Ball State on Saturday.

RELATED: Highlights from Lovie Smith

Penn State

Penn State took the Big Ten by storm in 2016 by going on an eight-game winning streak to end the season and establishing a devastating running game with Saquon Barkley.

“Just continue to get evolve and grow for him [Barkley],” Penn State head coach James Franklin said. “We think he has a chance to be a great player, obviously.”

Barkley and many other components were enough to push the team to its first double-digit-victory season since 2009. It was also enough to put Penn State in the conversation to be a part of the College Football Playoff.

“You could have made a heck of an argument of why we should have been in last year,” Franklin said. “We won the Big Ten Championship and our head-to-head.”

Franklin, with many of his core players returning on offense, may still have a shot to make the playoffs this season. The journey starts Saturday versus Akron.

RELATED: Highlights from James Franklin

Michigan

One of the best teams in the college football landscape in 2016 was Jim-Harbaugh-led Michigan. Harbaugh took over a 5-7 team in 2014 and turned it into a 10-3 team the next year.

Another thing that many may know about Harbaugh is that he is a great speaker. Starting the week after Michigan’s first game, Harbaugh will put out his podcast, “Attack Each Day: The Harbaugh Podcast.” No. 11 Michigan will open the season against No. 17 Florida.

“We will put on members of the family and friends.” Harbaugh said. “Seemed like a good idea, so we are going to give it a shot.”