Judges confirm that Jeff Horn-Manny Pacquiao decision was correct

AP
FILE – In this July 2, 2017, file photo, Jeff Horn, of Australia, celebrates after beating Manny Pacquiao, of the Philippines, during their WBO World Welterweight title fight in Brisbane, Australia. The World Boxing Organization will re-score the Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn welterweight title fight because of the contentious unanimous decision awarded to the Australian challenger, but there is no plan to change the result. The WBO was responding to a Philippines government department’s request to review the fight after Pacquiao said the decision against him Sunday was unfair.(AP Photo/Tertius Pickard, File)

After uproar from fans and officials, an independent review of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn was conducted and the findings went in favor of Australian Horn.

A department in the Philippines government initiated the review. It contacted the WBO and asked for a review of the refereeing and the judging of the match.

The fight took place on July 2 and ended with Horn taking the world title from Pacquiao in an unanimous point decision, ending Pacquiao’s reign, the 11-time world champion.

After the WBO reviewed it, they announced Monday night that three out of the five judges awarded the match to Horn while one awarded it to Pacquiao and another one scored a draw.

“From the results, it can be established that Pacquiao won five rounds while Horn won 7 rounds,” the WBO said in a statement to an online source.

Now that the review has been done and the ruling stands, the next question will be whether Pacquiao should retire or not.

His is 38 years old and an 11-time world champion, it’s safe to say that he has had his fair share of time in the ring and that has to affect his body.

This fight left him bruised, cut, and in a rough state, but I have a feeling that there might be a rematch in the future.

In the contract, Pacquiao had a right to rematch clause. Which means that there could be another battle brewing for November.

I guess we will have to wait to see whether Pacquiao will hang up his boxing gloves or strap them on for another go-around with Horn.

— Jess Westendorf