Men’s tennis knocks off Huskers

Ting Xuan Tan
Iowa’s Jake Jacoby returns the ball during a match at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center on Friday, Mar. 11, 2016. Overall, Iowa lost to Nebraska 3-4. (The Daily Iowan/Ting Xuan Tan)

The Iowa men’s tennis team defeated Nebraska, 5-2, on March 10, giving the Hawkeyes their first Big Ten win of the spring season.

The Hawkeyes (9-4, 1-1), traveled to the Dillon Tennis Center and got back on the winning track following a loss to Wisconsin on March 5. In doubles, the tandem of senior Robin Haden and junior Jake Jacoby continued their dominance, picking up a win over the Cornhuskers’ Micah Klousia and Tomislav Antoljak (6-1). The pair is now 10-1 in the spring season.

Iowa had more success in doubles on the No. 1 court. Juniors Joshua Silverstein and Lefteris Theodorou bounced back from losses against Utah and Wisconsin last weekend to pair for a win (6-4) over Dylan Bednarczyk and Chris Dean.

In singles, Jacoby and Silverstein replicated their success from last year, both securing wins against Nebraska. Silverstein took down Toby Boyer (6-3, 6-3) on the No. 1 court, and Jacoby picked up his seventh-straight set win of the season, improving to 8-3.

After starting the season 9-3, redshirt freshman Kareem Allaf cooled off, falling to Tomislav Antoljak (6-4, 6-7, 10-8). Continuing his recent struggles, Theodorou lost to Bednarczyk (6-4, 0-6, 6-4). Theodorou has now lost four-consecutive matches in singles; his last victory came in a Feb. 19 match against Denver.

The Hawkeyes will travel to San Diego on March 16 for the San Diego/San Diego State Invitational.

— by Jake Markowitz