Wrestlers pumped for b1g test

Anthony Vazquez
Iowa’s Sammy Brooks fends off Ohio State’s Myles Martin during the Iowa v. Ohio State Wrestling match, in Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, Jan. 27, 2017. The Hawkeyes beat the Buckeyes with a team score of 21-13. (The Daily Iowan/Anthony Vazquez)

By Pete Ruden

Even though the Iowa wrestling team has had 15 duals to this point, the most important part of the season is starting Saturday, when the Hawkeyes head to Bloomington, Indiana, for the Big Ten Championships.

With five competitors in the top three seeds, Iowa has the potential to do big things come Saturday and March 5.

Despite losing back-to-back duals to the No. 1 and 2 teams earlier in the season, the team has made progress all season. Though not much has changed in terms of preparation, head coach Tom Brands has made a point of saying the Hawkeyes need to wrestle their best.

“Nothing’s really changed from every other week that we’ve talked about. Get ready to wrestle your match, and do what you do best,” Brands said. “We’ve made progress, and now our best wrestling has to show up.”

Brands noted that individual performances will take care of the team score, and that’s where Iowa has a chance to do something special.

Thomas Gilman, Cory Clark, Brandon Sorensen, Michael Kemerer, and Sammy Brooks are the third seed or better in their weight classes, with Clark and Brooks winning Big Ten titles last year.

Iowa’s best chance for an individual champion would have to be with Gilman at 125 pounds. He’s is an outstanding 24-0 on the season and has been ranked No. 1 since November.

After finishing second and third at the Big Tens over the past two years, Gilman has noticed a difference in himself.

“I think I’m a lot more relaxed and not as uptight. I’m very workmanlike now,” he said. “Back then, my first postseason, I was very tight. Didn’t wrestle my best because I was tight. Now I’m kind of relaxed, loose, but hard and tough, ready to go.”

Aside from Gilman’s experience, there’s also those who are making their first appearance. Topher Carton, Michael Kemerer, Joey Gunther, Cash Wilcke, and Steven Holloway will get their chance to show what they can do on the big stage for the first time this weekend.

For many, this is the pinnacle of a dream they’ve had since their days wrestling in elementary school and maybe even before.

“I’m really excited for Big Tens. It’s something that I watched last year, Brooks and Clark win it,” the 165-pound Gunther said. “It looks awesome, something that I’ve wanted to do since I’ve been little, and I’m ready to go, ready to compete.”

While there are those that are making their first appearances, there are those on the opposite end of the spectrum. It’s the last go-around for the seniors and their last chance to pick up a Big Ten title.

It’s also something they will remember for the rest of their lives and something they will want to look back on with fond memories.

“It’s not really there’s a lot of pressure; it’s my last time, what if I don’t do this or don’t do that,” 174-pounder Alex Meyer said. “There’s no extra pressure. It’s enjoying it a little more, looking forward to it, having fun, building on last year, having things to improve on … It’s my last time, but it’s no extra pressure. It’s more enjoyment and helping me wrestle my best.”