Hawkeye newbie makes right choice

Iowa’s Jason Kerst returns a serve during the match against Penn State at Klotz Outdoor Tennis Courts on Sunday, Apr. 2, 2017. Jake Jacoby and Jason Kerst, were recognized by the International Tennis Association for their academic achievement in the 2016-17 season. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

By Jake Markowitz

The decision to play for the Iowa’s men’s tennis team is looking like the right choice for Jason Kerst.

Kerst won his first spring match as a Hawkeye against Omaha on Feb. 3. He managed to come back after falling behind early to win in three sets (3-6, 7-5, 10-6).

As the only true freshman on the team, Kerst lacks experience at the college level, but he makes up for it with a supreme work ethic.

“I could tell he loved tennis,” head coach Ross Wilson said. “He traveled to international tournaments by himself, he set up his own practice schedule and on our training program. He took 100 percent ownership in every aspect of his tennis.”

While Kerst might not have had as much confidence in his game early in the season, he is gaining more and more confidence as the season progresses.

“I was pretty nervous in my first spring match and was behind for the majority of the match,” he said. “But sometimes I think being able to win when you’re not playing your best can have an even greater positive effect than stepping onto the court and crushing your opponent.”

Choosing which school to continue one’s sports career is a difficult decision for almost all high-school athletes; however, Kerst was forced to make a crucial decision even before thinking about college.

As a freshman attending Skyline High School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Kerst held the No. 1 singles spot. High-school players can only compete in two outside tournaments during the fall season, which left Kerst with a difficult decision — should he stay with the team and help lead them to success or forgo his remaining three years to enjoy the freedom of playing in unlimited national and international tournaments?

Kerst’s decision came down to level of exposure and quality of competition.

“A number of things went into my choice to play USTA and ITF tournaments from that point forward, including the quality of competition, the level of prestige, and the opportunities to be seen by elite college coaches,” he said.

The increase in competition proved beneficial to his tennis game and recognition in the tennis world. Before coming to Iowa, Kerst was rated as a 4-star recruit, and he earned the No. 2 ranking in Michigan and No. 113 in the nation.

“He knows what he does well and maximizesd his strength,” Liberty Athletic tennis coach Dan Goldberg said in a release. “You have to beat him; he doesn’t beat himself.”

Choosing Iowa over other schools has rewarded Kerst in his tennis and academic career. He competed in the fall, earning wins over players from Louisville, Penn State, Oklahoma, and Indiana. He has also shown a good work ethic in the classroom, knocking down a 4.0 GPA.

“Leaving high-school tennis prior to my sophomore season was a very difficult decision,” Kerst said. “Being a Hawkeye three years later gives me confidence that it was absolutely the right decision.”