Hospital staff gets silly for kiddos

The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics staff put on a skit on the 15th hour of Dance Marathon 23 (The Daily Iowan/Osama Khalid)

By Naomi Hofferber

The staff of the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital put on their annual skit on the Dance Marathon main stage to showcase a little bit of silliness.

“We spend a lot of time with them and we love to have them see us in the outside, and be a little silly up there,” Krisi Foster, one of the nurse practitioners said. “They amaze us every day so we like to do some things for them and make them feel happy, and know that we’re a little silly, while we do serious things with them.”

Members of the hospital wore colorful troll headpieces, and two members wore large ears and noses. They performed a dance number to the song “Can’t Stop The Feeling.”

“We want to do something to give back to the kids and let them see our silly side, ad so every year we do a little practice, and we like to have a little fun,” Racheal Niensteadt, a child life specialist at Children’s Hospital said. “I love that the families get to see us out of the hospital.”

At the end of the skit, Dance Marathon children were invited on to stage to give staff members Children’s Miracle Network pins and thank those who have provided them care.

“It was a lot of fun; it was good to get out there. We appreciate all the money that was raised, it allows us to do a lot of things within the hospital that we couldn’t do otherwise,” David Gordon, a pediatric oncologist at Children’s Hospital said. “They’re all dancing for 24 hours straight, we do a very small part but we appreciate what everyone else is doing.”