Metcalf embracing her final go-around

After the meet, Head Coach Larissa Libby talks to the Univeristy of Iowa gymanstics team. (The Daily Iowan/Osama Khalid)

Iowa senior gymnast Angel Metcalf is thrilled for the upcoming season and excited to be apart of the Iowa women’s gymnastics team.

The Swansboro, North Carolina native is entering her fourth season as a GymHawk and wants to make her last year as a Hawkeye her best. Metcalf started gymnastics at a young age as her passion grew for her sport so did her talent.

“It’s not about me, it’s about my team,” Metcalf said. “Anyway that I can contribute and make my team better is what I am happy about. I love the atmosphere and competing with my family, it’s just so amazing.”

Metcalf trained at International Sports Center where her gymnastics skills were developed and eventually flourished. She attended Myers Park high school where she continued competing. In 2011 she placed second on beam at the North Carolina State Championships.

She did not stop there — by the end of her high school career she had been named a three-time Region 8 Championship qualifier and competed at the 2012 Junior Olympic National Invitational Tournament, where she earned second place on beams.

Then in 2014, she committed to the University of Iowa women’s gymnastics program.

In her freshman season as a GymHawk, Metcalf was on fire. She competed in 12 events on the season and in nine of those meets she competed in the all-around. She made an appearance at the Big Ten Championships as well as received a bid to the NCAA Regionals.

She also held the team best on floor and beam scoring 9.925 at the Big Ten Championships and a 9.875 against the Illinois – Chicago.

In 2015, Metcalf earned recognition and spot on the 2015 Big Ten Gymnasts to Watch List and was named to the All-Championship Team. She continued to hold individual best on beam and the all-around.

“I feel very good and optimistic, which is the way you have to look at things day-to-day in gymnastics,” said head coach Larissa Libby.

Last season, she competed in all 13 meets in the all-around as well as made her third consecutive appearance at the Big Ten Championships and NCAA Regionals. Making her an essential and important part of the Hawkeye squad.

Throughout her career she has been named to the All-Championship Team, All-Big Ten, and now this season she has become such a powerful role model on her team.

Thus far in the season Metcalf is showing no difference in attitude and determination for competing in her last season as a GymHawk. This is her time to do what she loves most and with some of the most important people she knows.

Metcalf has done nothing less than impress this 2017 season. At Northern Illinois she tied for second on beam with a 9.825 and at Ohio State she secured second place on beam with a 9.900.

On Sunday against Maryland, she struck again. Metcalf earned third in the all-around, tied for first on the uneven bars, and tied for first beam.

“We try to stay with ourselves, focus on ourselves, and focus on the things that we can control,” Metcalf said. “Any way that I can help my team with whatever score that I can put up and it be a hit I am more than happy with.”